How to install Orchard on a basic shared hosting

Topics: Installing Orchard
Aug 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Can't orchard be installed like what dotnetnuke to be done? I mean complete the installation by running the set up script, generally, run www.yourdomain.com/install/default.aspx   thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM

It's even simpler than that. Copy the files, hit the site, done. See http://orchardproject.net/docs/Manually-installing-Orchard-zip-file.ashx

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I have copied all the files to the root dictionary , and i wonder what file exactly is used to lead the installation. you know, the shared hosting has many restrictions, I have to run it manually. thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Just hit the site. I don't know what "run it manually" means.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I just unzipped Orchard into a virtual directory in my shared hosting.

Now I have no idea how to run configuration since there is no index.aspx or any file to run the CMS site. Normally I'd expect some kind of Admin folder where I just type in the URL and it loads the admin but here I see no way to run anything and no mention to this in the documentation, quite strange.

If I load the URL it will just show File not found. It only has the contents of the ZIP file uploaded, nothing else.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM

If your hosting is configured to run ASP.NET you should only have to hit your site, for example www.yoursite.com.

Do you get the ASP.Net 404 page? "Server Error in '/' Application."

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I'm putting it here:

http://orchard.multiuniversal.com/

I get:

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

It is kind of expected since there is no index file in the website root. IIS looks for index.aspx or index.htm or equivalente. Since there is none, I don't see how Orchard could run at all. :-)

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Directory listing of one of my pages running Orchard:

• App_Data
  • bin
  • Config
  • Core
  • Media
  • Modules
  • Themes
  • .hg_archival.txt
  • CREDITS.txt
  • Global.asax
  • LICENSE.txt
  • Refresh.html
  • Web.config

As you can see, no aspx-files at all required. Orchard takes care of the routing.

Is your hosting configured to run ASP.NET v4 applications?

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM

My guess: you unzipped the full source. src/Orchard.Web is what you need to deploy.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Yes I got the Orchard.Web and my wwwroot contents are the same as JLedel described. ASP.Net 4.0 is installed but it was only added after uploading Orchard, maybe I need to re-upload the files for the server to run something?

How does the server know what to do if I only upload the files?

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:09 PM

OK then. ASP.NET 4 has to be not only present on the machine, the app pool needs to be configured to use it. You might also have to run aspnet_regiis in order to make sure that everything is properly configured.

The server knows what to do because routes are being registered from global.asax.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

OK the hosting guys set it up but now it is asking for username/password. :-)

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Can't help with that part :) Are you good to go?

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Well it is giving me a dialog asking for user/pass when I go to the URL so not good to go yet but I think it is IIS issue not Orchard issue. This window seems like Windows Authentication.

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yes, you apparently don't have anonymous access configured for the site.