Creating custom content types from built-in content types?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Jul 29, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2011 at 2:02 AM

I'm making my first foray into CMS as the webmaster for my daughter's Girl Scouts service unit.

What I would like to do is build a site where there will be a top level for the service unit, which will contain things like a news feed/blog, a calendar, possibly a forum, and a bunch of static content.  I can do this with Orchard.

What I would also like to do is create some number of identical "sub sites" for the troops in the service unit; these would essentially be the same thing as the top level site listed above.  What I don't want to do is create a page, a blog, a forum, etc. for each troop that exists now, or may exist in the future.

The farthest I've gotten has been to build a custom Content Type called "Troop Page".  I added the Admin Menu, Body, Common, Containable, Container, Menu, Publish Later, and Route Parts, but the closest that has gotten me to what I want is a list of editable pages.  As an example, I can't find a way to add a blog to the Troop Page type and have it show up for each page.

Is this something I can compose from the available parts, or do I need to build a custom module that contains these parts?  (Or is there already a module that will do this?  I can't imagine I'm the first person to need to solve this problem.)

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Blogs unfortunately have some peculiarities today that will prevent it from being aggregated to a container type this way. But after all a blog post is just a title, body, tags and comments so you may want to consider pretending your pages are blog posts, or create a fake post type.