Using Contact Form 0.9.4

Topics: Administration
Jul 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Hi,

Has anyone implemented this module and if so can you give me a heads up on this? I have installed the module but I am now unsure how to use it.

Kind regards

JT

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Anyone?

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Did you try contacting the author of that module? There is a contact link on the gallery for each module.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:35 PM

We're using it on one of our sites. What specific questions do you have about it?

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Hi Kevin,

I have installed the module but do not know what to do next. Could you give me instructions how to create a contact forum using this module? 

Kind regards

JT

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM

I'm still here, I never left ;)

The original poster has a point. There are far too many modules that just give no explanation on how after downloading it, it can be used. If Orchard is to be the success I think it deserves then some thought needs to placed here. 

People need to start taking their developers hats off and start thinking 'What is it like for Sharon down the road' who just wants a blog/site about her kids or the pictures of flowers she has taken this week. A module that says nothing more than 'Adds Email functionality' or 'Add any form easily' is of no use to these people when they install it and don't know what to do next.

I hope you take this post for what it is and I hope some serious thoughts are discussed and some ideas chucked about. It would be a crying shame if Orchard failed simply because developers couldn't put themselves in the position of potential users. :(

Would be such a shame.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Hi JT,

Once you have the module installed and the feature enabled, you basically have two choices to get a contact form on your site. First, you should see a new link in the "New" section at the top of the admin menu called "Contact Page". This is a new content type, like Page, except it already has a contact form on it. Note that this content type does not include the Menu part by default, so you will not see an option when you create the page to "Show on Main Menu" when you create the page. To get it on the menu, you can either use the Navigation page in the admin to manually add a menu item, or you can add the Menu part to the Contact Page content type.

The second option is to use a widget. The module exposes a new widget type called Contact Form Widget, which provides the same form as the Contact Page but as a widget which you can place anywhere on your site.

Either way, when you create the page or the widget you can configure an email address to send notifications to when users fill out the form. You will also see a new link in the admin menu called "Contact Requests". This is a list of the entries that users have submitted through the form. You can use this in addition to, or instead of receiving the email notifications to track the submissions.

I hope this helps. And I agree with Nick that the Orchard ecosystem needs a good way for module authors to provide instructions/documentation for their modules. For now, the best option is to use a Codeplex or Bitbucket wiki page (or something similar). But I know there's a goal to eventually have that type of functionality directly within the Orchard gallery.

Kevin

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't see the link the to new contact page as I didn't realise that I needed to have the messaging module installed and active for this module to work. 

One last thing, where do you edit the contact form fields?

Regards

JT

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "edit the contact form fields". But if you're wanting to control which fields are displayed, you can't do that through the UI. Instead, you can just override the view template for the ContactForm part (see Views/Parts/ContactForm.cshtml in the module). You can use shape tracing to create the override in your theme for you, or just manually copy that template into your theme. Then you can edit the form to include whichever fields you want. For example, say you don't care about the Phone Number and want to remove that field. To do so, in your override remove the HTML from the form for that field and replace it with a hidden field with no value, like this:

@Html.Hidden("Phone", "")
You can customize the form however you want, as long as you still post the form fields that it expects. As an example, the form at the top of this page is implemented with the Contact Form module, even though it's hard to tell by looking at it: http://microsoftjobsblog.com/Category/dear-jobsblog

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:28 AM

That is exactly what I was after - thanks your help help Kevin!