What does GetDefaultStereotypes of an IPermissionProvider do?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I have implemented a new permission. I copied some code from an existing IPermissionProvider. There are a couple things I'm unsure of, though.

Here is my code.

public class Permissions : IPermissionProvider
	{
		public static readonly Permission DownloadLessonPlans = new Permission { Description = "Download Lesson Plans", Name = "DownloadLessonPlans" };

public virtual Feature Feature { get; set; }

public IEnumerable<Permission> GetPermissions()
		{
			return new[] {
				DownloadLessonPlans
			};
		}

public IEnumerable<PermissionStereotype> GetDefaultStereotypes()
		{
			return new[] {
				new PermissionStereotype {
					Name = "Administrator",
					Permissions = new[] {DownloadLessonPlans}
				},
					Name = "Editor",
				},
					Name = "Author",
				}
			};
		}
	}

1. I kind of cargo-culted the virtual Feature Feature property in there, as I see it in all IPermissionProviders...is this used to basically "namespace" permissions? That is my theory based on a comment in Orchard.Roles.DefaultRoleUpdater that reads "when another module is being enabled, locate matching permission providers."

2. More importantly, what does GetDefaultStereotypes do? I would think that for each of those three roles that I've specified, the "allow" and "effective" checkboxes should show as checked for my new permission. Administrator indeed shows these boxes checked, but Editor and Author do not. The code also doesn't indicate whether the permission should be AVAILABLE for setting, as I can set my permission for all other roles in the dashboard. So..if neither of these are what that code is supposed to do, what IS it supposed do?

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM

1. Yes, it's there for us to be able to classify permissions under the relevant feature, and to only check permissions for enabled features.

2. This should be applied to those roles if they exist, when the feature is enabled. If that is not happening, it is a bug.