Contributor role can't create new page unless they have publish permission

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jul 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Hi there,

I created a test user with the Contributor role and when I log in as them and try to create a new page I get the home page with the error message "Cannot create content. Current user, Contributor, does not have PublishContent permission." I thought the point of the Contributor role was that they could create content but not publish it. If I grant the role the Publish or unpublish Page permission then I can create a new page with that user but that's not what I want to do. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Well, the contributor role was designed exactly like this: he can create content but not necessarily publish it. I'm really not following you: you say "I thought the point of the Contributor role was that they could create content but not publish it." Well, yes, exactly, he should be able to save, but not publish. Publishing is the role of the editor. I think what you're looking for is the author, who can create and publish his own pages but shouldn't be able to touch other people's content.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:25 AM

The problem I'm having is the contributor can't even save new content... I log in as the contributor user, go to the dashboard, click new page and it kicks me to the home page with the error I listed above: "Cannot create content. Current user, Contributor, does not have PublishContent permission."

If I grant the user the publish permission, then I'm able to create a page. The contributor role is not working correctly for me without changing the permissions. Is there a bug here?

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Then that is a bug that should be filed in the issue tracker.

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Yes, I also have the same problem and need a solution..

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM
My contributor role doesn't even have an option for adding a page. Any ideas how to fix this?
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM
The contributor role works to create content but you can't do it through the "New" section in the admin menu as that only appears when the user has the permission to publish. This seems kind of whacky as any role that can create content should be able to utilize the quick create through the "New" section in the Admin Menu. Is this a bug?
Developer
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM
That does sound whacky. Would you mind filing a bug for this?
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM
I would love to but to be honest I don't know how. Could you direct me to the right place for this?
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Sorry, I figured it out.
Developer
Sep 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Great, thanks!