Adding Widgets on a Page Level

Topics: General
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Hi all,

I've just started to look at Orchard and am both very impressed and struggling a little. I feel like I'm getting the main concepts (content types, parts, fields, widgets, shapes, layers etc), but feel like I'm confusing myself a bit.

Can widgets be a Page level thing? What I mean is, for example: is it possible to have a html widget in a zone, but have different content for that widget on each page? Or could I define a zone in my layout, and have a different widget in that zone on different pages?

I know that some of this can be done using layers, but 2 things strike me about that:

• Firstly it feels like layers are there to address a different problem
  • Secondly its not that natural for an end user / editor to edit page content in one place, and then widget contents in a different place.

Please tell me if I'm not being clear, or if I'm missing the point.

Cheers

Matt

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Hi,

we've just talked about pretty much the same issue today while exploring Orchard. We've also got to the point of using layers, but now that you ask I can think of another way of doing this:
  1. Define your own custom Content Type that will look like Page but add some more fields.
  2. Define a new Content Part for the other places on pages you want editors to see and edit and add that Part to the Page Content Type.
What do you think?
Oliver
Jul 21, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Hi,

we've just talked about pretty much the same issue today while exploring Orchard. We've also got to the point of using layers, but now that you ask I can think of another way of doing this:
  1. Define your own custom Content Type that will look like Page but add some more fields.
  2. Define a new Content Part for the other places on pages you want editors to see and edit and add that Part to the Page Content Type.
What do you think?

Oliver

--- Eulers Identität ---

2011/7/21 niceguymattx <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hi all,

I've just started to look at Orchard and am both very impressed and struggling a little. I feel like I'm getting the main concepts (content types, parts, fields, widgets, shapes, layers etc), but feel like I'm confusing myself a bit.

Can widgets be a Page level thing? What I mean is, for example: is it possible to have a html widget in a zone, but have different content for that widget on each page? Or could I define a zone in my layout, and have a different widget in that zone on different pages?

I know that some of this can be done using layers, but 2 things strike me about that:

• Firstly it feels like layers are there to address a different problem
  • Secondly its not that natural for an end user / editor to edit page content in one place, and then widget contents in a different place.

Please tell me if I'm not being clear, or if I'm missing the point.

Cheers

Matt

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2011 at 12:00 AM

What exactly is your scenario? There are a few ways you could do that, depending on what exactly that is.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hi all,

Oliver - I haven't really looked at creating content parts too much, I'll have a look at that today.

Bertrand - There's a couple of scenario's I can think of:

• A situation where I might have a 'List of Links' widget in a particular zone, but I wanted different links on each page.
  • Or if I have defined a zone, but want a different widget on each page, for example, on a 'About Us' page I might want some social networking type widgets, but on th 'Find Us' page I might want a google/bing map, or something to that effect.

This isn't an actual requirement I have at the moment, just something I'm considering so I can get my head around things and understand how it should be done.

Cheers

Matt

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2011 at 8:24 AM

For the first scenario, you could have a content part that dispatches its shape into a zone (see http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2011/03/26/dispatching-orchard-shapes-to-arbitrary-zones.aspx). For the second, I would have page or section-specific layers.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for this