Looking for Azure feedback

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Hi all,

In the same vein as the commerce thread I started earlier, here's one on what you'd like to see happen around Azure hosting of Orchard. We have some ideas of our own, but I won't mention them yet, as I want some free-form feedback. Please feel free to let it all out, tell us what doesn't work, what you'd like to see, or any ideas you may have that would make your life on Azure and Orchard easier. The nice thing is that the good ideas in this area have a relatively high likelihood of actually happening :)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Bertrand 

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I have an honest question - are people actually using azure?  I have yet to speak with anyone (not employed by Microsoft) that is using Azure.

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:58 AM

@ldhertert,  I am using Azure to host Orchard for me,  and I am not a Microsoft Employee  :-).

@bertrandleroy,  I do have some thoughts for you.  As soon as I gather them together coherently,  I will post back here.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I am interested in Azure from a scalability point of view.

The way I use Orchard is: I put a lot of small websites together using multi-tenancy. Then, when one of them grows beyond a certain threshold, I plan to move it to its own VM and when it outgrows the VM, I want to be able to move it to Azure.

I welcome anything that will facilitate these migrations. Right now, it looks like I will have to use the data export tool. But it isn't suited for really large websites (ie: large number of content items).

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Yes, we are using Azure - not quite ready to release yet so I can't give you a URL to take a look, but will do so soon.

The Azure support is a key feature for us and definitely one of the reasons we went with Orchard. Two things I'd like to see:

1. Support for installing Modules and Themes from the Gallery on a live site without having to build and deploy.

2. Support for logging and an easy way to see the logs.

Jul 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM

I'm curious to see if you guys (or anyone else) has done any benchmarking on Azure?  I.E. How many Orchard sites and/or requests could I cram onto an extra small/small instance before maxing out the compute hours?  The pricing is pretty steep, however that's completely relative to how much performance you can get out of each instance.

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2011 at 6:58 PM

We haven't. Perf seems to be on par with a regular infrastructure, but that's just circumstantial. But maybe some of you did some testing?

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I'd be curious to hear what the bottom line cost of running Orchard on Azure is.  The directions show setting up a 1GB web edition database so I don't know if that impacts things.  But if some people here can throw out their costs, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!