Periodic Access Denied Error in Admin Tools

Topics: General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jul 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Hi,

I'm having problems with orchard after deploying to a shared hosting environment. It works perfectly on my local machine, but when deployed I keep getting kicked out of the admin tools.

I can log in successfully and then browse through one or two pages of the admin tools, but sooner or later (normally sooner) I will see a page saying Access Denied and be forced to log in again. I have tried clearing my cookies and restarting the app pool.

I am hosting with winhost.com and I found a post stating that the app pool limit is 100Mb. (http://forum.winhost.com/showthread.php?t=8844) So my theory is that when using the tools the app pool is exceeding this limit and forcing the app pool to recycle, which is killing off the user session? Does this sound possible?

When monitoring the memory usage locally in IISExpress I can see that memory usage quickly jumps up to about 250Mb. So this is way beyond the limit of my hosting. Do you think it is realistic to run Orchard with a limit of 100Mb and is there anything I can do to work around this limit? (i.e. moving session state to SQL server)

Cheers for any help you can give me.

Rob Bird

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM

No, I don't think such a limit is going to work with Orchard, sorry. Still, you should not get access denied if you have a machine key configured.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Thanks BertrandLeRoy! - machine key has stopped me getting kicked out.

But yes, 100Mb limit doesn't really fit with Orchard, which is a shame as I was loving it so far. It's a great product - great work  guys!

I'd definitely be keen to use this at work for a commercial project with the budget for proper hosting, just disappointing that it wont work out for the smaller (personal) site I am working on in my spare time. 

I'd be interested in knowing what is cheapest hosting available which would fit the needs of Orchards memory consumption? I'd be looking to the $5-10 per month price range as it's for a site which will have very little traffic and no need for great performance.

Cheers,

Rob

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I've seen people have some success with DiscountASP, but there are lots more out there: http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I'm having the same problem with a site hosted on shared hosting. I've stopped the logouts by adding a machine key.

I'm using aspnethosting.co.uk and they seem to be willing to increase the app pool size limit. It was set to 128MB. They increased to 512MB and that didn't seem to stop the frequent app pool recycles.

What size limit would be a sensible one for Orchard?

I also disabled indexing and caching. Will that help with Orchard's memory footprint?
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
It totally depends on the modules you are using. Removing caching will certainly help with memory pressure, but it won't help your site respond faster...
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Turned caching back on, as it did slow things down more.

Any tips on profiling an Orchard site's memory usage? I can't find a way to see how much memory an app pool is using. I can't test this is in the shared hosting, but I can check on my local copy.
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
the default cache implementation has memory pressure eviction by default, so it should not lead to restarts. You should investigate locally. Also, maybe turning to 32bits would help.