Filtering lists to show only items from current localization

Topics: Localization
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Hi,

I have installed the localization module and the CulturePicker modules and thought I was all good to go

but have just noticed that the lists of items in my project are displaying all the translations and not just the current.

Looking at the CulturePicker module website http://orchardculturepicker.codeplex.com/documentation

I have noticed

What is not implement currently

• Automatic list items filtering (displaying only list items for the current culture);

I need this functionality so am wondering what the easiest way of adding it is going to be, and also why it was left off the

release (whether this was due to it being technically difficult for some reason).

Can anyone guide me as to the best way of achieving this?

Many Thanks.

Editor
Jul 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM

sattaman,

I am in the same boat as well. How did you get your list URL's to resolve properly? I have a list of news items that are shown in a summary at /about-us/news. Did you duplicate your list by creating a new one at something like /about-us/news-fr-fr ? Then you added the localized items there?

Any help would be great. I had to disable the culture picker automatic list item filtering for it to stop pulling out my items from the list.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM
I am using a widget to display the items on a localised page

On 13 Jul 2011, at 19:05, "arock3" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

sattaman,

I am in the same boat as well. How did you get your list URL's to resolve properly? I have a list of news items that are shown in a summary at /about-us/news. Did you duplicate your list by creating a new one at something like /about-us/news-fr-fr ? Then you added the localized items there?

Any help would be great. I had to disable the culture picker automatic list item filtering for it to stop pulling out my items from the list.

Editor
Jul 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Well I got mine working, but it was not until I setup a translation for each of the list items. This must have triggered something in the db to place a record in there for the US items correctly.I think the module was breaking the list rendering without the translations in there. Mine is now rendering the appropriate list items for my three cultures ,en-us, es-es, and fr-fr.

Were you able to get your navigation working properly? Whenever I click on a link it returns me to the english culture.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I got the lists within the widgets working correctly, I ended up creating a seperate zone for each localisation of the page and adding the localised version of the list to that page.

Yep I'm struggling with the navigation at the moment myself. It seems that the standard menu item doesn't support localisation http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/264725

I don't mind using the advanced menu, but not had any luck with this either. Will keep trying, let me know if you find a way

Editor
Jul 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM
So you created a separate list for each culture? Rather than relying on the filtering? That stinks. I had to do that with navigation. I have a FR nav, EN nav, and ES nav and use the culture layer rule and different zones to toggle when they are shown.

The Culture Picker supports menu filtering, any idea on how that was supposed to work? Didn't do much when I added links that had cultures at the end of them. I did some poking around but didn't find anything.

I am seeing an annoying thing where if you use the list filtering, you need to do it on all lists. Even ones you don't want to localize.

Arra

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM, sattaman <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I got the lists within the widgets working correctly, I ended up creating a seperate zone for each localisation of the page and adding the localised version of the list to that page.

Yep I'm struggling with the navigation at the moment myself. It seems that the standard menu item doesn't support localisation http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/264725

I don't mind using the advanced menu, but not had any luck with this either. Will keep trying, let me know if you find a way

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (orchard@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email orchard@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Thanks,

Arra