Converting from Joomla to Orchard

Topics: Administration
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:42 PM

We have a need to export a current site's content (a Joomla site) and import it into a new Orchard site.  I'm thinking we'll need articles, categories, blog posts...has anyone ever done this before? What are your experiences? Quite possibly I'll have to write some kind of export script or use some joomla extensions and hopefully Orchard has something available in the gallery for importing. I saw the BlogML module, but I need to do some more research, so I thought I'd ping the community in the meantime.

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Can't advise for the Joomla side, but on the Orchard side, if you need something beyond blogs, the Export/Import official module is what you need: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Orchard.ImportExport

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:57 PM

I saw that as well, and will be looking into that further. Does that just need to be in a specific format? Perhaps I can write something to make Joomla content form into a readable format for Orchard.

Thanks for the reply...

Coordinator
Jul 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Of course, yes, you need to masage the data into the recipe format for Orchard.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I did an export of my data in the Orchard site to try and get an idea of how it should be structured.  I then wrote a script to pull the content into that format from Joomla's database.  I get an error when I import:

Recipe execution with id 8dc85e488c0f4c7d9f12fe26bd23af73 was cancelled because the "Data" step failed to execute. The following exception was thrown: The string '' is not a valid AllXsd value.. Refer to the recipe journal for more information.

Here's the XML I'm trying to import:

<!--Exported from Orchard-->
<Orchard>
  <Recipe>
    <Name>Generated by a custom Joomla export script</Name>
    <Author>tjans</Author>
  </Recipe>
  <Data>
	<Page Id="/Route.Slug=administrator-components" Status="Published">
      <CommonPart Owner="/User.UserName=admin" CreatedUtc="2011-01-01T00:00:01Z" PublishedUtc="" ModifiedUtc="2011-01-10T12:57:27Z" />

<BodyPart Text="" />
      <MenuPart MenuText="Administrator Components" MenuPosition="0" OnMainMenu="false" />
      <RoutePart Title="Administrator Components" Slug="administrator-components" Path="administrator-components" />
      <TagsPart Tags="" />
    </Page>

</Data>
</Orchard>

<Orchard>
  <Recipe>
    <Author>tjans</Author>
  </Recipe>
  <Data>
      <CommonPart Owner="/User.UserName=admin" CreatedUtc="2011-01-01T00:00:01Z" PublishedUtc="" ModifiedUtc="2011-01-10T12:57:27Z" />
      <BodyPart Text="" />
      <MenuPart MenuText="Administrator Components" MenuPosition="0" OnMainMenu="false" />
      <RoutePart Title="Administrator Components" Slug="administrator-components" Path="administrator-components" />
      <TagsPart Tags="" />
    </Page>

</Data>
</Orchard>
<Orchard>
  <Recipe>
    <Author>tjans</Author>
  </Recipe>
  <Data>

<BodyPart Text="" />
      <TagsPart Tags="" />
    </Page>

</Data>
</Orchard>
Jul 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Seems like my published date is empty, and that's what's breaking it...

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Yep, everything worked great.  I was able to write a PHP script to form the XML that the Import/Export module required and imported about 100 pages of content.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Woohoo! That's great. It would make an absolutely excellent blog post that would help lots of others out there.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:31 PM

We actually debated on starting a company blog that would journal some of our travels with technology.  When we do so, I'll write something up regarding this issue.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Hi everyone! I'm really interested in this topic since I'm experiencing the same problem. Is there a solution avaliable??

Thanks for your help!
Oct 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Hi everyone! I'm really interested in this topic since I'm facing the migration of several Joomla sites to orchard and i want to automate it as much as i can so please if any one could point me the differences about the Joomla export format and the orchard import format so that I can make some app to do so

Thanks for your help!