Creating New Versions of Themes and Modules

Topics: General, Writing modules, Writing themes
Jul 4, 2011 at 6:42 PM

About to deploy my first Orchard site... I'm working with the source, but have set up a second site as the production site using the compiled zip install. i have a couple questions:

Should I be working on the source and then deploy to IIS or keep working on the source and just package my changes (Theme, modules, etc) to install on the "production" site?

I've never delployed an application from VS so I'm not sure how to pull that off correctly (without creating potential security holes or adding too many files)... where do I learn this?

Once I've created a theme or module how do I create new versions (i.e. 1.0.1) of the package after I've made changes? Where do I set the version number?

Thanks to everyone involved in this project! I'm freakin AMPED to master MVC3 and build some kick-ass Orchard sites!

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:05 PM

My personal preference is to deploy themes, modules, media and database "manually" but VS deployment should work.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Thanks Bertrand! That works for me. 

It seems i have to do a bit more homework to understand how to create update "versions" for my projects (themes, modules,etc)... Is this done with a plugin in VS or where do I figure this part out? As I mentioned, I'm a complete newb to C# and OOP (2 whole weeks!) so I apologize in advance for wasting anyone's time ;)

give me 6 months and I should be up to a reasonable speed to ask real questions and give a little back hopefully.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Not sure what you mean by "update versions". Copying the latest over should just work. If you mean for the VS deploy thing, you might want to ask on a VS forum.