RavenDb

Topics: General
Developer
Jul 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Hey Hows the RavenDb integration going?

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM

We were just investigating the feasibility. We had to switch to other things since then. I'll ask around for status.

Developer
Jul 1, 2011 at 7:01 PM

awesome, was really looking forward to seeing this offered as a choice. Could be a great win.

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM

OK, so here's the deal, as it is currently.

We talked to Ayende about the licensing, and can confirm that downstream usage in a commercial product would almost always require buying a RavenDB license. There are many subtleties and exceptions but for all practical purposes that pretty much rules out making it the default.

Still, we've determined that it was technically feasible to write an alternative implementation of IRepository for RavenDB. We might end up doing something like that as an alternative data store option at some point in the future, but for the moment we are not investing into it any more, because we have much more pressing subjects to address.

If anyone of course wants to run with the code in that branch, they are more than welcome to do so.

Developer
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Thanks for getting back so quickly. That sucks about the licencing.

I really thought that having a DocumentDb behind Orchard would be a really big win in terms of speed. (and coolness of course)

Hve you tried an alternative product? i.e. MongoDb?

I might take a look and see what you have so far. Do you know if what you have works? compiles? etc?

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Well, yes, we've discussed that but RavenDB is quite unique in its integration with .NET. We also have some constraints like being able to run on Azure and in medium trust that I'm not sure any document DB supports currently. I could be wrong. Please prove me wrong :)

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Oh, and about how far our code is, it is just a proof of concept and acts only at the repository level, but assuming that the content manager would be refactored to work with a document db, not to work with both. So there would be a lot of work to be done at this level, and it would happen in the core framework. In other words if someone was to take over this effort, they would have to submit patches to the core platform, most likely and reasonably. My understanding of it is quite partial though.

Developer
Jul 1, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Ah cool thanks for the heads up on the code so far... I may take a look when I get a chance.

So ive taken a quick look and MongoDb can run in Azure, but im not so sure about medium trust..

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Just checking to see if anyone has checked out the RavenDB branch and taken it further down the road.  We're building an application on RavenDB and are interested in the possibility of a RavenDB data provider for Orchard.  We haven't tried Marek's approach from the following Stackoverflow thread, but that might work for us.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8867704/use-ravendb-as-the-database-for-an-orchard-cms-module