New modules and permission roles

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hi, I am starting out with Orchard, trying to write my first module.

I would like to have a new role with a few permissions that I can access in the standard users and roles admin interface.

How do I go about getting them created?

I have implemented a class with IPermissionProvider interface using the Orchard.Comments permissions.cs file as a starting point. However, when I run the application the roles/permissions do not show up. I guess I am missing some sort of start up routine that creates them, but don't know what of where.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction please??

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM

OK, after digging around some more I have found that the Permissions have been created, but the role has not.

It looks like the new role should be created in the DefaultRoleUpdater.AddDefaultRolesForFeature process but I don't understand how/when this will be called.

Any ideas??

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Heres my code if that helps:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using Orchard.Environment.Extensions.Models;
using Orchard.Security.Permissions;

namespace HelloWorld
    public class HelloWorldPermissions : IPermissionProvider
        public static readonly Permission FunctionOne = new Permission { Name = "FunctionOne", Description = "Function One" };
        public static readonly Permission FunctionTwo = new Permission { Name = "FunctionTwo", Description = "Function Two" };
        public static readonly Permission FunctionThree = new Permission { Name = "FunctionThree", Description = "Function Three" };

public virtual Feature Feature { get; set; }

public IEnumerable<Permission> GetPermissions()
            return new[] {

public IEnumerable<PermissionStereotype> GetDefaultStereotypes()
            return new[] {
                new PermissionStereotype {
                    Name = "FunctionController",
                    Permissions = new[] {FunctionOne,FunctionThree}

Jul 1, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Why do you want to create a role? The permissions and default stereotypes should be all you need in most situations. Roles should be created by users, not modules.

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I am trying to integrate an existing booking system that has a few user roles. These roles are not related to publishing, like the default Orchard roles, but are more specific to the application. I would like to use Orchard to host the app as it is a great framework providing I good deal of the other requirements of the application. So, in this case I want my module to drive the role existence if possible and to setup the basic permissions against those roles by default.

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Then you should inject a IRolesService and call CreateRole on it.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

OK, I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help.