Is it the CMS I need?

Topics: General
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Hi all,

We currently have several web sites, some are created in ASP.NET Web Form while some are created in MVC3. All web sites are multi-lingual. Currently the contents are from local resource file or local content files.

We are in the process to evaluate some web CMS systems to have a formal way to manage the contents, there are some requirements:

• No need to totally rewrite exisitng web sites. Prefer WCM can have an easy way to integrate with existing code base;
  • WCM must support both ASP.NET web form and MVC3 frameworks;
  • Hosted locally side by side with our web servers;
  • Multi-lingual support

So according to my requirements above, is Orchard the right WCM I am looking for?

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM

What's WCM? That's a new one on me ;)

Anyway Orchard matches all those requirements, except you might have difficulty integrating web forms. Orchard is built on MVC 3 so the same restrictions as any MVC project apply.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM

WCM = web content management.

I check Orchard project site and did not find any document or sample how to integrate with existing MVC3 site.

Do you happen to know any sample implementation I can check?

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM

An Orchard module is just an MVC area with a manifest file. You can't integrate Orchard into an existing MVC site but you can integrate an existing MVC area into an Orchard site.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Any sample to share?

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Any existing Orchard module? :)

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:48 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

Any existing Orchard module? :)

Not yet, we are still evaluating different WCM products to see different possiblilities.

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM

No, I mean you may look at any existing module as they are MVC areas. They can have controllers, routes and views.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM
bertrandleroy wrote:

No, I mean you may look at any existing module as they are MVC areas. They can have controllers, routes and views.

I could check code, but it takes huge amount of time to play with it and try by myself. May commercial products have pretty good white paper or pre-sale support, I understand Orchard is an open source project which may not have such things yet. But as end user like us, we don't mind paying money for support as long as product is the one we need, this is how some open source products, for example Mule ESB, run the business.

Hope Orchard one day could also have something to help customers better and faster to understand the product.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM

If you have specific questions, you'll always find someone here to answer them. We also have an "Announcements" section where it is perfectly fine to call for contractors for a specific job.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:45 AM

At this moment one of my concern is how much effort to integrate existing MVC3 site into Orchard, that is the reason I asked if there is any sample implementation or guideline, and I can compare it with our current code. And on top of it I also try to think is there a way I can wrap our web form code to integrate with Orchard as well.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM

If you can move your existing MVC code into an MVC area, then yes (which is entirely independant of Orchard at this point).

As for WebForms, you can modify web.config to accept routing to them but it's going to be clunky. Plus, you won't benefit from themes, etc.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM

What do you need to modify in the web.config to accept routing to webform pages? 

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:29 AM

At the bare minimum you need to add back the handler for *.aspx (you can take your machine.config as an example)

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I've tried adding back the aspx handler in both the Orchard.Web project and a module I created myself using the following entry and it still doesn't allow me to execute a webform directly.

<add path="*.aspx" verb="*" type="System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory" />

Is the Orchard routing getting in the way?  I tried adding code to ignore routes with aspx in the Global.asax but that didn't seem to help.

What am I missing?

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:55 PM