Building Hybrid Web Site

Topics: General
Jun 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I need to build an application consisting of two main parts. First part is a group of pages customiizable by the site owner through browser interface. It is fairly typical internet-facing web site with Home, Product, Services, About Us and so on.  Second part is custom-build order entry system. It also very typical e-commerce-like feature (select product, add to shoping cart, check-out, check my orders, etc). This part will be MVC app around domain-objects with EF persistance.

The question is how to integrate these two parts. Order entry component is too compicated in order to be written in Orchard framework, meaning that I don't want for example to rely on Orchard content types, lists, or develop Orchard module. I want order entry to be a custom build regular MVC app blended in Orchard. What these parts should have in common is look and field, authentication and authorization.  In order words I would like to use Orchard as a container with some customizable content and plug in custom build MVC app into it.

Can I do this?

-Stan

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM

You should still build Orchard modules, but those just won't use Orchard features but instead rely on custom logic. Orchard modules are just MVC areas.