How does Orchard compare with Wordpress?

Topics: General
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I ask because I do the majority of small sites now in Wordpress, even though I'm almost entirely a .NET developer.  The reason is that ASP.NET CMS's have historically been bloated, over-complicated crap piles.

Is it:

1. As quick to install / set up as Wordpress?
  2. As simple to use?

Orchard looks simple and clean, which I like, but I just wondered if you've had experiences with both and could share on how they compare.  Not in feature lists.  Microsoft developers often compare in terms of features.  I'm talking about how easy it is for non-techie client to manage their site.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Matthew 

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Wordpress is pretty complicated to set up for a non-techie, unless you use one of the automated services that exists. Somebody could set up such a service for Orchard, haven't seen one yet, but I've had discussions with one or two people about that possibility.

The admin UI could be considered cleaner and simpler than WP - I've already given it to a couple of non-techie clients with pretty much zero instruction and they were fine.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Doesn't Micrsoft's "WebMatrix" tool do some sort of automated install?

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Oh yeah - and it'll publish it up to FTP. Way simpler than anything PHP has to offer.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Eeeeexcellent.  Looks like you answer a lot of questions here.  Thanks!

As I said, .NET is my preference and my forte, but I tend to choose simplicity over language.

Of course, I know next to nothing about MVC and .NET MVC specifically.  But it looks to be all the rage.

Jun 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Having switched from Webforms to MVC relatively recently, and then finally over to Orchard, MVC is waaaay simpler than Webforms. I no longer feel like I'm fighting battles every day :)