Orchard and sub applications

Topics: General
Jun 15, 2011 at 6:04 AM

I am currently evaluating CMS to meet a range of my clients needs and have installed Orchard as one of the options, one of the more interesting requirements is to have the CMS capable of being able to display sub applications in the content area depending on the navigation options selected.

What i mean by this is the client has existing applications written in ASP.NET and what they would like is for the CMS to act almost like a portal, so there is a header, nav, content and footer and if a certain navigation option is chosen only the content is replaced with the one of the existing application while maintaining the CMS header, nav and footer.

What i wanted to know is if there is a way to do this in Orchard as i haven't been able to find information of anyone attempting this sort of thing, the only options i have really seen would be turning there existing apps into modules effectively, but i don't think that would be a viable outcome from their point of view, so there any info on this sort of thing i am missing, is it even possible at all with Orchard?

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM

The only easy way of combining webforms and MVC would be to use an iframe to display the sub-application.

Orchard modules are MVC areas; so if your client's existing applications are in MVC then it's easy.