trouble submitting patch

Topics: Writing modules
Jun 15, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Hi there,

I am rather new to Mercurial, so....

I created a fork and made my changes.
I committed  to the 'contributions' branch.

Now when I try to push my changes to the remote repository I get this message:

"
pushing to https://hg01.codeplex.com/forks/santiagoit/addiusereventhandlerapproved
searching for changes
abort: push creates new remote heads on branch 'contributions'!
hint: did you forget to merge? use push -f to force
[command returned code 255 Tue Jun 14 22:54:52 2011]

Help

Thx! 

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Send a pull request instead, from the Codeplex interface.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Pete

I can't do that yet because I am trying to push my changes back into my fork. If I create a pull request now I guess it will show no changes

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Oh sorry, didn't look closely enough! You can click the options button in Mercurial and there's a check box allowing you to create a new branch. Or you can update your code to the last commit on the contributions branch, make your changes again there, and push that - then it won't be creating a new branch.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM
Edited Jun 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Pete,
I thought I had created a new branch.
When I commited I clicked the 'Branch' button and selected 'Open a new named branch' with 'contributions' selected from the drop down list.
I get the error when I try to push the changes to the remote rep. When I look at the repository it lists my commit on the 'contributions' branch.

Click on the thumbnail below to see full image:

Free Image Hosting by FreeImageHosting.net

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Yep that's what I'm saying. When you did that, it created a *second* contributions branch in your repository. And you can use the "options" button to force that to be pushed.

On the other hand, if you want to commit to the *existing* contributions branch, you have to first roll your repository back to the tip of that branch, *then* commit, *then* push - and you won't get that message.

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Thx for the mercurial lesson Pete!
Pull request submitted.