Orchard Performance

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jun 14, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Hi All, I just happened upon Orchard and was interested in it for a few projects of my own. While browsing the official Orchard site i noticed page request were extremely slow. Particularly when browsing modules and themes.

I am looking for honest opinions about the performance of Orchard. It seems extremely slow to me. I have invested my entire career in .Net.. since version one. We (Wifidelity) have built a number of large scale webapps using forms and Entity Framework and overall have found the performance to be slow compared to other platforms. This is not a bashing session.. i am just really starting to wonder if there is some lack of focus when it comes to performance in .Net in the last few years. If Orchard is supposed to demonstrate best practices and highlight the abilities of ASP.Net MVC then why is it so slow?

frustrating.. I wouldn't endorse the use of Drupal.. but as an example check out their official site.. browse modules etc. It's night and day. And this is frustrating for me because i am so heavily invested in .Net.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:05 PM

For one thing I'm guessing the gallery site hasn't been updated to Orchard 1.2 yet - performance has been vastly improved for the new release.

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Not only that, we also have a bunch of things, such as our CI server, running on the same box. When a build is being worked on by the CI server, CPU often goes to 100% and the gallery suffers. We are working on moving the gallery to Azure.

Do not take this as any indication of Orchard performance, and instead do your own testing in your own environment.