Module Query - Event Management module in the works?

Topics: General
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Hey Guys,

LIDNUG is looking heavily into swapping our current CMS (Sitefinity) out with Orchard CMS and one of the functionalities that we'll have to incorporate is "Event Management".

So, since Orchard is nicely modular we figured we'd build one, however we also don't want to re-invent the wheel so the question is: does anybody have an "Event Management" module in the works at the moment?

The criteria for the module that we're looking at adopting/creating is:

- RSS/Atom feed availability
- .ICS/Outlook/Calendar capability
- Timezone support
- integration (optional, but we use Eventbrite)

Appreciate a heads up - cheers.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Hi Brian,

I also need an events calendar for a website I'm building. Mine won't need to do everything you've listed, but the way Orchard works it's really easy to take one module and then add your own customisations on top of it, in your own separate module.

There are already some bits and pieces around that could provide a foundation;

- There was a post by smeyers where he was discussing a calendar module he was writing. He implemented a RoutableByDatePart so you can have /YYYY/MM style URLs, and posted the code for that. I haven't heard anything else since about his calendar module, but it's possible that he's already got a lot of that functionality implemented. The discussion is here:

- Failing that - if it's not being finished or doesn't do everything that's needed - the plan was to build my own calendar. It's pretty easy to achieve by leveraging another project I've been working on; it's called Mechanics and it's a system of many-to-many content connectors. So you could easily hook up a variety of connectors for events, venues, attendees, however you wanted to wire everything up. The only thing that needs any serious implementation is the calendar view.

- Orchard has a very flexible feeds system which can be plugged into any type of content, and can easily have new feed formats plugged in if they're not already there. RSS is a default but Atom might need implementing. So anyway once the calendar is implemented it'll be easy to leverage that core functionality to get feeds.

- Timezone support could be tricky. The Localization module allows customising content for different languages but I don't think it goes anywhere near timezones. However I've already done my own implementation of the GeoIPCountryWhois database for looking up the user's country based on their IP address, and combined with a timezones database that could be pretty neat for inferring the user's timezone automatically.

- - I guess that'd be up to you, but you can easily hook into events when any type of content is created or altered, and perform your integration at those points.

Hope that gives you some pointers; if I started building this myself it would be as part of the Science Project on Codeplex which is a whole set of modules (including Mechanics that I mentioned) - and obviously any collaboration would be great!

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I too have a client who needs a searchable events database for the web. The only feature that they require that I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the ability to bulk upload events, from an excel spreadsheet perhaps.

Have either of you made any progress on this?

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM

You could probably make a little extension that transforms the Excel sheet into an import recipe. Either as an integrated Orcahrd module, or as an external manual step before import.

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM
Hey Johnny,

unfortunately its been sidelined. Simply didn't have the spare time to complete it at this point in time.

its still on the cards though. Sorry.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7

Sent: 2/08/2011 3:08 AM
Subject: Re: Module Query - Event Management module in the works? [orchard:261252]

You could probably make a little extension that transforms the Excel sheet into an import recipe. Either as an integrated Orcahrd module, or as an external manual step before import.