Widget Layer Issue/Question

Topics: Writing themes
Jun 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM

So I noticed some strange behavior (i think) regarding the use of widget layers. Looking to know if this is a know issue or a framework design?

Steps:

1. Create new Page with some Body Content.
  2. View Page; renders in default content zone as expected
  3. Next Add Layer widget to Page w/ say a side zone populated with HMTL widget
    1. Does the new layer need to contain a content zone to now render the Page Body Content? 
  4. View Page; HTML widget content shows but default content zone is now empty (ie Page Body Content Area)
  5. Delete the Widget Layer entirely for that page
  6. View Page; Page Body content still no longer shows
    1. Verified all items were published and not in draft mode
    2. Cannot seem to recover the original default content zone rendering of the Page Body Content Area

What gives? Am I missing something my understanding of the framework or could this be a bug of sorts?

Thanks in advance, this has been driving me crazy.

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I'm sorry but I can't reproduce this. What version are you using?

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM

v1.1.3

Assumption: If I add a widget layer and put additional HTML widget in to main content zone in layer widget, regardless the original Page Body content should render? I may have to re-order the items but I understand that. Will the Page Body content in this scenario always render @ index 1 in layer heirarchy? I am using a content.cshtml (stripped down to Body.Model), not sure that could be an issue or not or relevant at all? It seems like regardless, If I add a widget layer, after page completion ( i know you get challenged to create a layer during page creation) it seems to foul stuff up. Keep you posted if I can figure this out, but I'm assuiming this may be on my side and my implementation.

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Yes, widgets are completely independent of the content itself.