Best way to display featured content items

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jun 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I want to be able to mark content items (2 different types) with something and display the marked items on the bottom of my homepage. Can anyone recommend a good approach? I thought about using the taxonomy module, creating a featured term, and adding yes/no to the vocabulary. If I did that...could I query from inside a template without having to create a module?

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Well, querying from a template would be (super) bad practice, but I suppose it could be done. But don't :)

It's hard to tell from your description what you need to do that the taxonomy moudle wouldn't do out of the box. Can you give more details about what you're trying here?

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I want 3 featured item summaries along the bottom of my homepage. Similar to recent blog posts. I'll dig in and see if I can create a featured content widget part that meets my needs. I saw a post a sec ago on getting tagged content. I can go from there.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:32 PM

It would be great if this was built in as a widget for taxonomies or tags.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Isn't it built already as a Widget ? If not it should, can you file a bug on the taxonomy project ?

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM

There is a widget but it shows the taxonomy terms instead of the content items for a particular term. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Another option is to use my Mechanics module. It has a Paperclips feature that allows you to attach content to zones in a variety of ways.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I've done this using a list + widget.