Field in Part has no Settings

Topics: Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I noticed that there will be no settings shown for fields in Part (if you edit a Content Part).
I tested it with the Taxonomy Module and my field.

But the Fields in the Content Item do have settings.
Do you have this bug too?

PS: It wouldn't be such a big deal if i could access the fields of a content item but there is only a property for the xml data)

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Can you please file a bug for this? Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:15 PM

NO, it's not a bug, it's by design, and it's awesome ;)

When you define a field at the Part level, then the settings are different per content type, so you can actually change them when you edit the Content type itself.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Sébastien's right. I was confused.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hi Sebastien & Bertrand

I think there might be a bug here. Sebastien said "the settings are different per content type" but I'm not seeing this behavior.

When attaching a field to a part and then seeing its settings in the type editor certainly infers that it is expected that field settings will be different per type, but when I add a field to a part and change the settings from the type editor page those settings are persisted between all types that have the part attached.

Steps to reproduce:

• Add an Orchard Date/Time field to the Title Part.
  • Edit the Page content type and change the Display Option setting to Date Only.
  • Now edit the Blog Post content type, note that the Display Option is Date Only. Change it to Time Only.
  • Go back to the Page content type and notice that it is Time Only.

The settings appear to be saved in only one record in the [Settings_ContentPartFieldDefinitionRecord] table, there isn't any pointer to which type the settings are applied to, which seems to be why the same settings are used for each instance of the part:

<settings DisplayName="Date Time" DateTimeFieldSettings.Display="TimeOnly" DateTimeFieldSettings.Required="False" />

Is this behavior expected, or as Sebastien says should the settings be unique for each type?

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Please file a bug.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Done

http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/18750