This project is read-only.

APPCRASH in w3wp.exe -> clr.dll when changing tenant host setting

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I have a very strange problem:

I have a multi-tenant host where some days ago I added a tenant listening at

Everything went fine until I wanted to change it to

Accessing this domain just kills the application pool:

Problemereignisame:	APPCRASH
Anwendungsname:	w3wp.exe
Anwendungsversion:	7.5.7601.17514
Anwendungszeitstempel:	4ce7afa2
Fehlermodulname:	clr.dll
Fehlermodulversion:	4.0.30319.225
Fehlermodulzeitstempel:	4d5367b6
Ausnahmecode:	c00000fd
Ausnahmeoffset:	0000000000007b13
Betriebsystemversion:	6.1.7601.
Gebietsschema-ID:	1031
Zusatzinformation 1:	660a
Zusatzinformation 2:	660a0a858c669b5babba54a1588eca77
Zusatzinformation 3:	c92d
Zusatzinformation 4:	c92d0a00d464aeff687ce5c872da70be

I can change the domain to whatever I want:

Everything works but not the domain I want ""


But now the really strange thing about this:
I can create a new tenant which receives "" and it works!


And even more scary:
Some days ago the tenant had a different host ( and we wanted to change it to "" which also killed the apppool when being accessed -- so we changed it to the now existing "". Of course "" works today; but today I don't need it anymore -- I definitely need "dev." now, but thats the only one of 1001 possibilities which doesn't work.


Any ideas?

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM

addition: I already did a full reboot of the machine: No change.

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

another addition: I also cannot change another tenant to "": AppPool dies, too -- but not with a fresh created tenant: There the setup page appears at "

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Please file a bug.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I'd rather shoot the trouble ;)

Is there anything I could do in order to narrow the problem?

My real fear is that on monday when the domain/host should be "www.realdomain.tld" it won't work although _today_ it would work (the same as "" works today but didn't some days ago but I have absolutely no clue what could have been changed since then -- as said a server reboot doesn't change anything.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM

What's the message in the windows event logs ?

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Quite the same as above (which was info from error reporting):

<Event xmlns="">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-01T09:09:39.000000000Z" /> 
  <Security /> 
- <EventData>
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Could it be that an app pool creates an account based on the host name, and DEV is already here. Is there something else called DEV in your server ?

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I already did a fulltextsearch on all IIS config files. As said: Days ago the "www2" did not work but works today -- but there hasn't been changed anything relevant on the server since then (at least nothing a remember or came across while searching for anything "www2." or "dev." related.


From the Report.wer file these are the 10 most recently loaded DLLs:

LoadedModule[212]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69a502d4\2235dbd0\App_Web_vgxun5e2.dll
LoadedModule[213]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69a502d4\2235dbd0\App_Web_34b2rkhs.dll
LoadedModule[214]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69a502d4\2235dbd0\App_Web_zllhyc0b.dll
LoadedModule[215]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\69a502d4\2235dbd0\App_Web_uw2fl3kl.dll

Jun 1, 2011 at 10:59 PM

In one of the WER folders I found a minidump which I managed to transfer to my local PC but I have no matching .pdbs..

If I don't misinterpret the values a StackOverflowException occured there:

>	clr.dll!EEJitManager::JitCodeToMethodInfo()  + 0x15 bytes	
 	[Managed to Native Transition]!000007fef4415cb8() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for]	
 	[Managed module(s) not found, frames cannot be determined]	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute + 0x108 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod + 0x27 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass15.b__12 + 0x81 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter + 0xe6 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter + 0xe6 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter + 0xe6 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters + 0x13a bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction + 0x15f bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore + 0x9f bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute + 0x14f bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<>c__DisplayClass6.<>c__DisplayClassb.b__5 + 0x3e bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.<>c__DisplayClass1.b__0 + 0x14 bytes	
 	System.Web.Mvc.dll!System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<>c__DisplayClasse.b__d + 0x36 bytes	
 	[Managed module(s) not found, frames cannot be determined]	
 	[Native to Managed Transition]	
 	[Managed to Native Transition]	
 	[Managed module(s) not found, frames cannot be determined]	
 	[Native to Managed Transition]