Orchard 2.0 roadmap

Topics: General
May 27, 2011 at 1:10 PM

It might be a bit early to discuss about this, but I have noticed that you are planning for v2.

Do you have something to share about that?

I am especially curious about why you would go from 1.2 to 2.0. Does that imply big changes? Or is it more like Google Chrome? :)

May 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I don't think it necessarily implies there will be a jump straight from 1.2 to 2.0. Just that they are starting to consider what will be in there and to start planning for it now.

May 27, 2011 at 5:31 PM

We'll have more to share soon.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM

A week ago, you wrote:

Quality Milestone for 2.0. This means breaking lots of stuff in order to make it better. One example of this is shapes in the admin. You are going to love it when it's done, but in the meantime, expect random things to break on the dev branch.

Do you have more to share now? :)

I am particularly interested by the admin dashboard because I want something that would work better for a collaborative/social site (i.e. by being better integrated with the front end).

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Well, you can take a look at the dev branch and see it in action. We've been slowly changing the admin to use shapes everywhere instead of MVC helpers. We have shapes for tables, lists, action links, etc. Still lots of work remaining but this should open some interesting scenarios, such as modules being able to better inject their own markup.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

It would be interesting to implement something like an inline editing mode where the dashboard is divided into two parts:
- A menu at the bottom, kind of like the shape tool, that displays the dasboard's menu
- Replacing the current "edit" link with a link that will display the edit form over the current page (like this)

From what I have seen so far, it should be easy enough to write.
Would you be interested in merging this into the dev branch? And provide it as an alternative to current dashboard.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Ah, inline editing. We had that in the very beginning of Orchard. Don't underestimate the difficulty though :)

In any case, that certainly is something interesting to explore, which would be best done as an optional module. Then, if it's well-adopted and there is reasonable consensus that it's useful to most users, we would consider taking it into the core. That of course is true of any module.