What should I tell someone who is new with Orchard

Topics: Announcements
May 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I will be presenting Orchard to a local .NET group. 

What are the key points you think I should touch ? What should make them say WOW, I would like to learn a bit more?

Any ideas ?

Developer
May 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM
Edited May 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM

I'll let Bertrand or Bradley reply in further detail but... I assume you've seen MIX day 1 keynote ?

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/MIX/MIX11/KEY01

Aims more at the end user other than a .NET developer but still touches some nice points.

Andre

Coordinator
May 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM

If that's a .NET user group, you can probably assume an audience of developers. What they are usually after is how to leverage their existing skills to provide what their customers want, in a productive way. They will not necessarily want to hear about architecture but they will definitely want to hear about the flexibility and productivity. I would probably take an example of a web site that is partly "classical" (pages, tags, search, comments, etc.) and partly custom (with a custom content type corresponding to a specific business). Orchard can really shine in this type of scenario by allowing you to compose existing "off the shelf" parts for the former and custom modules for the latter. They will also be interested in knowing how they can fully customize the look of the front end.

So I would go for:

1. Build a classical brochure+ site with pages, tags, comments and a few groovy things like Taxonomies maybe. Emphasize the Gallery and how fast it grows.
  2. Build a custom part and type and integrate it with 1.
  3. Skin the whole thing
May 13, 2011 at 5:50 AM

Thanks, 

@andrerod Yes, I have seen the MIX11 presentations

@bertrandleroy Solid advice. Thanks.

May 13, 2011 at 7:02 AM

it would be nice to have some short videos on these features from time to time. That way there is a visual walkthrough from the team.

Multitenancy, Taxonomy sound great, but under pressure it would be nice to have a quick review of them working.

Coordinator
May 13, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Working on it :)