Colour and media picker for theming

Topics: Writing modules, Writing themes
May 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Edited May 12, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The concept is not a new one, I have seen different elements used in seperate modules on other open source projects, and free versions.

I myself am not in anyway a programmer or author, I play with websites and apps as a hobby. I feel that if for instance somebody could create a colour picker module to work with the Theme Machine template similar to the one in 'Drupal 7 - Bartik' theme and add a media picker element to it so you can directly insert colours and images to the background elements of a page without ever needing to edit any files directly, the whole Orchard project could be opened up for use by the masses.

I am posting this suggestion as an invite/challenge to all readers and hope people will enjoy working on the project.

I look forward to seeing a first release in the near future!

May 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I made a website years ago in PHP which had an RGB picker that would recolour the entire website; CSS, images and all.

Actually I made a .NET forum relatively more recently where each user could choose their own colours and border graphics and each of their posts would be styled and recoloured accordingly.

There were a lot of fun to do but they were hobby projects that I never properly finished, but as a concept it looked really nice.

Now, translating this to Orchard / MVC it'd be pretty easy to set up controller actions to pipe out dynamic CSS and images.

As for setting up background images in different zones, I could actually set that up already with Mechanics / Media Garden. I've already got background images for the content zone working in a site, that you can set for the whole site or customize per page.

So it'd be a nice place to end up at, but to be honest I have way too many other things to get done right now to get involved in anything like this :)

Coordinator
May 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Did you try this? http://tuning.bind.pt/Home.aspx

The output of that tool is not perfect but it gets the job done...

There is also a Super-Classic theme on the gallery that shows how to build a configurable theme: http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Themes/Orchard.Theme.SuperClassic

May 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I have looked at the Bind site before, and was not that impressed; I'm experimenting with the SuperClassic theme now, thanks for the tip; However -

What I am looking for is a single module that can customise your current 'front-end' themes 'skin' from within the Dashboard. This would not only make producing a site quicker for it's first lauch, but also make it easy to keep the look fresh by simply tweaking a few styles 'live' every few months. Many potential users have, like myself, no programing or design training and would shy away from using tools like shape tracer, or firebug to find their way round a new package they are experimenting with. Once they are used to the 'WYSIWYG' way of doing things some may also wonder 'what makes it tick' and start looking into the actual files and playing with settings, the same way I did, and a new member of the community is born.