Media Garden and Science Project module suites

Topics: Announcements, Writing modules
May 11, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Hi all,

I've mentioned both of these projects in numerous discussions. Now they're getting ready for usage I thought I'd make an announcement!

I'll be adding packages to the Orchard Gallery in due course but for now here are links and an overview if you want to get the code.

If anyone wants to know anything or needs any help please ask over at the relevant project site, I'll try to answer all questions as quickly as I can!

Science Project

http://scienceproject.codeplex.com

The key module here is "Mechanics" which allows you to create any types of many-to-many relationships between content items, entirely from the admin UI. You can completely customize how those relationships are both displayed and edited. You can even make related items display in different zones using the PaperclipsPart. See the Mechanics documentation for an example of how to build your content items and connectors.

There are some other modules which at the moment don't do very much but will eventually provide per-item permissions (much requested, and it's nearly ready), and drag-and-drop and AJAX features (which are far from ready!)

Media Garden

http://orchardmediagarden.codeplex.com

This is intended as a huge extension to Orchard's media capabilities, allowing you all kinds of ways to handle and display video, audio, image and other types of media - whether uploaded, or linked from external sites. It converts media files into actual content items; so they can have their own display pages with any parts you'd like to add on (such as comments, tags, star ratings, anything), and you can easily build things like galleries using Orchard's built-in Lists feature. Or you can combine this with Mechanics to build galleries and playlists and circumvent the limitations of the Lists feature (i.e. you could have the same item in several different categories, and when displaying you'll get the content item rendered, not just the list children). There will be an additional module to provide this integration.

It's been active for a while but I've now produced a FlowPlayer integration so you can play most types of media in your website.

May 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Hey, 

Sounds nice. I see that you are really getting involved in the Orchard community. I'm usually browsing through the discussions at some point during the day, to see if I can learn or help somebody, and I always see a good answer from you.

Thank you!

May 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Thanks for your comments! I really love working with Orchard and it's nice that I can help people. I know it can be really frustrating when you need an answer quickly and (depending on time zones) it can be hours before anyone replies. So I try to respond to as much as I can through the day. Quite often that means digging through source code to find out the answer myself, so I've been learning a lot :)

May 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but these sound like some interesting projects.  Thanks for all your efforts in the community!  We'll definitely be checking out the media garden project soon.

I'm also REALLY interested in your work on item permissions, as that's on my to do list for a current project.  If you have any interest in exposing where you're at with that project or would like another set of eyes on it, please let me know.

May 20, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Edited May 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Yes the item permissions are now implemented in the Quanta module of Science Project. It's only available in the source repository; I haven't published yet mainly because the UI is a bit fiddly. Also note that View permissions aren't there yet.

However; over the last week I've been working on a new Fork that will be solving both those problems. It should be ready later today to merge these new bits into default. I've implemented a whole load of new UI composition, making connector editing much more powerful (and this applies to the permissions connectors in Quanta so it'll be much simpler, which is the current problem). Then I've also been working on an entirely new routing system; it replaces RoutePart altogether. So it provides its own controller and therefore I can finally apply View permissions (both per-type and per-item) at that level. It also has a few other neat tricks.

This release will be beta, i.e. the features are there and working but there could certainly be further problems to solve; so any testing and feedback will be gratefully received on all of this, I realise these are features people are crying out for so I want to get this production ready very quickly :)

May 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Sweet.  I'll keep an eye out for the beta.  Thanks!

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Hi Pete, Have the view permissions been implemented yet?

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Did you check out the new content permission part in Orchard 1.5?

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Awesome! Thanks. That works perfectly and solves SO many issues I have been having. Totally deserve a fistbump!

,--.--._
------" _, \___)
        / _/____)
        \//(____)
------\     (__)
       `-----"