Is it possible to use Glimpse with Orchard?

Topics: Administration, Troubleshooting
May 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I tried to install the Glimpse package to Orchard.Web, but then I got a security exception. Has anybody tried to use Glimpse with Orchard?

May 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM

What is glimpse, and does it require full trust?

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM
Edited May 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Glimpse is the best thing since sliced bread, or well at least since shape tracing. It's Firebug for ASP.NET MVC. It would be really cool if it was compatible with Orchard but unfortunately it isn't currently.

May 11, 2011 at 5:49 PM

In that Glimpse is the server's analog to Firebug, and considering the complexity of Orchard's server-side workings, I'm sure you've considered what it would take to add hooks for Glimpse - I know the Glimpse side of the fence wants to play with Orchard.

Any thoughts on what it would take to start an integration process? This could be seen as an extension of shape tracing, right? So it's really, really important? I mean, i'd buy much more than beer for whoever brings us a Glimpse, i doubt i'm alone, & yeah, feel free to contact me offlist.

thx

May 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Wow, looks amazing! Wasn't very easy to find the project via Google so here's the link for anyone else curious: http://getglimpse.com/

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I'd be willing to coordinate such an effort on the Orchard size. Anyone from Glimpse wants to chime in and handle the other side?

May 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Just watched the Glimpse video, looks like it would be extremely useful with Orchard.

May 14, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Hi guys, my name is Anthony and I'm a member of the Glimpse team. Orchard is definitely something we want to make work. We haven't looked exactly whats causing Glimpse to not work with Orchard, but if looking into this is something that we could have help with it would make a big difference. @bertrandleroy will be in touch soon to see what we can get organized and see if we can get everything up and running. If in the mean time someone could give us more details of the exact errors people are getting that would be great.

Coordinator
May 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM

OK, so here is the full repro... On a source code Orchard enlistment, from VS add a library package reference on the Orchard.Web project (that's the web app), choose Glimpse and install.

Trying to access Glimpse/Config after that does not work, I suppose because the route is not wired in a way that Orchard can recognize. I got no exception myself.

Getting it to work through NuGet + maybe some additional steps would be a good start, but ultimately it would be really cool to see it come under the form of an Orchard module.

May 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Hey guys 

Thanks for the feedback... Just letting you know that we haven't forgotten about this. We are just focusing on the next release (0.82) and then we will start looking into this.

We really want to make the experience with Orchard as good as possible and you guys will be a key part of making this happen.

Say tuned, should see some action here in the next week or so.

Cheers
Anthony  

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I think I have good news for you guys. I have managed to get the latest Glimpse 0.83 running in Orchard.

I just installed it normally throught the Nuget package manager. Then I changed the order of the handlers in web.config so that glimpse is on top and the Orchard NotFound-handler below (it installs the other way around).

My section now looks like this:

<handlers accessPolicy="Script">
      <!-- clear all handlers, prevents executing code file extensions, prevents returning any file contents -->
      <clear />
      <add name="Glimpse" path="glimpse.axd" verb="GET,POST" type="Glimpse.Core.Handler,Glimpse.Core" preCondition="integratedMode" />
      <!-- Return 404 for all requests via managed handler. The url routing handler will substitute the mvc request handler when routes match. -->
      <add name="NotFound" path="*" verb="*" type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" requireAccess="Script" />
    </handlers>

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Edited Jul 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM

In preparation for Glimpse starting to support Orchard out of the box, what Orchard specific plugins/tabs would people like to see? We have some ideas, but would like to hear from the people what are using Orchard as well.

What makes sense that people would like to see, what data is valuable, what could we show that would help solve real world problems people have with orchard, etc?

Please send your ideas over to http://getglimpse.uservoice.com

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM

The above works for me! yay

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Thanks @jesperlind for your help. It seems to work, but not for everything. For example, the "New" menu in the dashboard no longer works (its navigation provider is throwing an exception), and the Content Types page also causes an error. Nevertheless, the front-end seems to be working OK.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM

As an asdid the latest Hanselminutes podcast was all about Glimpse. Great Show!

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM

i installed it via nuget, there seem to be automated integration now but it doesnt work for me so.

if i inter the url of glimpse i get orchard error.

seems to be not registered correctly.

any idea?

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Did you try what's explained above?

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I got it now...

Is the routes tab working for you? no?! then check this

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6211184/why-doesnt-the-route-tab-appear-in-glimpse-web-debuggger

nu:

install-package glimpse.mvc3

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I'm trying to get Glimpse working (Orchard 1.3) and hitting errors.

What appears to be going on is that, in one of my modules, I'm extracting a settings object from a content item (this is to do with Url generation).

This is apparently throwing Glimpse off. I'm guessing this is because SettingsDictionary.TryGetModel<T> is actually using the MVC model binder to perform its work. Glimpse is treating this as as an MVC Controller binding operation, but since there isn't a controller yet there's an error. This is just speculation. Of course, since no routes exist after that method fails, I can't test anything beyond it. But Glimpse config is appearing correctly and it seems everything would be fine if it weren't for this error.

The error log is as follows:

2011-10-30 09:45:55,016 [37] Downplay.Mechanics.Plumbing.Services.PlumbingPathConstraintUpdater - Error while plumbing path constraints.
System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
   at System.Web.HttpContextBase.get_Items()
   at Glimpse.Mvc3.Extensions.ControllerContextExtensions.BinderStore(ControllerContext controllerContext)
   at Glimpse.Mvc3.Interceptor.BindModelInterceptor.Intercept(IInvocation invocation)
   at Castle.DynamicProxy.AbstractInvocation.Proceed()
   at Castle.Proxies.DefaultModelBinderProxy.BindModel(ControllerContext controllerContext, ModelBindingContext bindingContext)
   at System.Web.Mvc.DefaultModelBinder.GetPropertyValue(ControllerContext controllerContext, ModelBindingContext bindingContext, PropertyDescriptor propertyDescriptor, IModelBinder propertyBinder)
   at System.Web.Mvc.DefaultModelBinder.BindProperty(ControllerContext controllerContext, ModelBindingContext bindingContext, PropertyDescriptor propertyDescriptor)
   at System.Web.Mvc.DefaultModelBinder.BindProperties(ControllerContext controllerContext, ModelBindingContext bindingContext)
   at System.Web.Mvc.DefaultModelBinder.BindComplexModel(ControllerContext controllerContext, ModelBindingContext bindingContext)
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.MetaData.Models.SettingsDictionary.TryGetModel[T](String key) in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\MetaData\Models\SettingsDictionary.cs:line 17
   at Orchard.ContentManagement.MetaData.Models.SettingsDictionary.TryGetModel[T]() in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\MetaData\Models\SettingsDictionary.cs:line 22
   at Downplay.Mechanics.Plumbing.Services.PlumbingService.PlumbPipeRoute(PlumbingEventContext context) in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Downplay.Mechanics\Plumbing\Services\PlumbingService.cs:line 230
   at Downplay.Mechanics.Plumbing.Services.PlumbingService.AllViewRoutesForItem(IContent item, Boolean rootPathsOnly, Boolean forceRebuild, IEnumerable`1 recursionIds) in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Downplay.Mechanics\Plumbing\Services\PlumbingService.cs:line 134
   at Downplay.Mechanics.Plumbing.Services.PlumbingService.AllViewRoutes() in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Downplay.Mechanics\Plumbing\Services\PlumbingService.cs:line 87
   at Downplay.Mechanics.Plumbing.Services.PlumbingPathConstraintUpdater.Refresh() in x:\MySite.com\src\Orchard.Web\Modules\Downplay.Mechanics\Plumbing\Services\PlumbingPathConstraintUpdater.cs:line 50

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Superb, thanks for the heads-up!

I was trying to access trace.axd, and I also put the TraceHandler below the NotFound instead of above it.

Now I injected it as follows:

<add name="Trace" path="trace.axd" verb="*" type="System.Web.Handlers.TraceHandler" />
<!-- this is the backup, should remain as last!! -->
<add name="NotFound" path="*" verb="*" type="System.Web.HttpNotFoundHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" requireAccess="Script" />

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM

By the way, glimpse works on my setup, only not if the recipe hasn't been run yet. Then it gets notimplementedexceptions during execution of the recipe.
Maybe that helps...

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM

As far as I can see it should be working on mine if it weren't for something weird going on in my module. I think to work around it I just need to get Alias working.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Anybody knows if Glimpse can work with 1.5.1?

I installed it through Library Package Manager into Orchard.Web project but request http://localhost:30320/OrchardLocal/glimpse.axd returns 404.

Please?

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Hey guys!!

Coordinator
Aug 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

They used to work on a plugin for Orchard, but haven't heard about them since. You might want to ask on their forum.