Preview content before publish

Topics: General
May 10, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I'm evaluating Orchard as CMS for my company web site but I can't find a basic function of every cms on a market - preview content before publish.

Content on the web site will be managed by marketing people so I want them to have ability to preview their changes at least before they publish something. 

I found "Version manager" module in gallery and it does provide preview but I don't like user experience in it.

I prefer to have "Preview" button at the bottom of a page or something similar. Sorry if I miss something have just started to work with Orchard.

Yours sincerely,

Maxim

May 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM

That's true, there's not currently a feature to preview a page in the context of a site.  You can however, create new content items, save them, and review them without actually publishing the content (the only missing aspect is the ability to 'preview' the new unpublished content items in the full context of the working site).   When you create new content items--a page, a blog post, etc.--you can "Save" now but choose to "Publish" later, either manually or on a schedule.  You can go into Admin mode and see a list of all your unpublished content items, then review them and publish them, either as a group, or individually.  

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM

That's this bug: http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17065. You can vote it up. The bug also points to a module that adds this feature.

May 11, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Edited May 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Thanks for your answers!

I voted the bug but I can't find a link to a module which implements such functionality found only a comment that such module exists. If it's about version manager module it's not what I actually wanted from user experience standpoint.
Is orchard extensible enough to allow me to write module which will add preview button in edit view of every contentitem?
Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I understand that this is not what you'd want from a user experience perspective. The pointer to the module is intended as a workaround. If you wanted to implement something closer to what you need, it will also provide a useful starting point.

May 11, 2011 at 3:52 AM

Clear thanks!

One more related question - Are there any plans to implement "the only missing aspect is the ability to 'preview' the new unpublished content items in the full context of the working site" ?

Yours sincerely,

Maxim

May 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I don't know if the team have plans for this. But with some modules I'm writing, I'm working towards having front-end editing as well as preview. It's actually pretty easy to change the default controllers so editing is themed but I want to provide this on separate controllers so you can still do Dashboard editing if, for instance, the front-end theme gets messed up for any reason.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM

It's been over a year since this question was asked - does anyone know if there are now any plans to implement a preview in context feature for Orchard?  I am also considering Orchard as a CMS for my company's website, and we would really, really like our CMS to be able to do this.  Thank you!

Developer
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

What do you mean by Preview in context? As in, Inline Editing?

Oct 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Well, after you edit a piece of content, Orchard lets you preview that piece of content by itself, but not in the context of the entire page, which might contain multiple pieces of content.  I hope that clarifies my question?

Developer
Oct 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM

The preview of a draft has been implemented (one year ago).

Connected as Admin, you have a Preview link on a content in Draft and you can see the corresponding url as it would appear on the Front as if it was published : /Contents/Item/Display/[ContentId}.

That's why the issue is marked as fixed : http://orchard.codeplex.com/workitem/17065 

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something.  I see the preview link, and when I click it, it does show me a preview of the content I've edited - but it only shows me the content I've edited - my draft of that content piece only.  There's not a way to see a preview of my draft along side all of my other content pieces that exist on that page?

I understand that I can view my draft with the following url format: /Contents/Item/Preview/[contentID], and I understand that I can view the currently published version of that same content piece with the following url format: /Contents/Item/Display/[contentID].  

It looks like the issue you're referring to as being fixed is the issue of being able to preview a content piece.  And I agree, that is fixed and works fine.  It's the "preview a content piece in the context of the page" piece that doesn't seem possible to me.

Thanks for everyone's responses so far, and I hope my words are making sense...

May 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM
maguidhir, what you are asking makes perfect sense. You don't want to see your content floating out there in admin-fantasy-land -- you want to see it in context, exactly how it would show up on the public site (with navigation, all of its surrounding widgets, etc.). I think the tricky part is that a given piece of content could be showing up in multiple menus on the site, as a widget, in a projection, etc. and could even be rendered in many different views. I'm not sure how preview would work.

However, I'm definitely interested in this as a feature. Has anyone come up with a clever way of achieving this? Our product admin / web content authors are interested.
May 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Edited May 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM
deleted for redundancy