How to create pages with image galleries

Topics: General
May 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Hi, I'm a new user of orchard, and don't quite see how to create my site.

I'd like to have a page which lists events (e.g. concerts). For each event I'd like to show the date, location, and a short description. Optionally I'd like to add a image gallery / slideshow to events.

I guess creating the page listing the events should not be a problem. But how do I create the different image galleries? Should I create a separate page for each event for which I want to show a slideshow? And if so, do I have to create a separate layer for each page, to be able to use a different image gallery / folder containing the images?

I'm missing (or wasn't able to find) any documentation or demos explaining/showing such things.

Also which modules do you recommend to create what I want ("Image Gallery", "Photo Albums", "Pretty Gallery", ...)?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot.

Coordinator
May 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM

http://orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Mello.ImageGallery won third place at the Orchard Module Challenge so it's a pretty good choice for a gallery, but see if it fits your needs.

For your events, this might be a good start:

http://orchardproject.net/docs/Creating-custom-content-types.ashx

May 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I guess I have to put my question differently:

If I understand correctly: When I add want to use the Image Gallery module, then I add it to a layer (and not directly to a page)?

Now if I have several pages, containing an image gallery, do I have to create a separate layer for each page? Or is it possible to use the same layer for all pages, and configure the image gallery module to display different images depending on which page is being displayed?

I guess I don't quite understand the different roles of a page and a layer.

Thanks for your help. 

May 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM

And yet another question: once I have created, saved and published a page, how do I select/change the layout to be used by that page?

May 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Edited May 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM

If you might want different pages to have wildly different layouts and you want a drop-down list to select from, you could try my module; http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Downplay.Orchard.LayoutSelector

May 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

What I really want, is to have lots of pages with the same layout (containing an image gallery), but showing different images.

May 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Ah, I see where the confusion is.

An image gallery is a content type; you don't need to "add it to a page" - basically it is a page, it's just called something else. Anything with RoutePart has a URL and can be viewed. You can then customise certain templates depending on the content type. Use the Shape Tracing feature to explore the page and see what templates control what part (and possible "Alternate" i.e. override template names).

May 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't understand ;-(

What I have done, is this: I went to Dashboard->Widgets and added an image gallery to "Content" section of the "Default" Layer. Now this image gallery is displayed on all pages, but showing the same images.

Are you saying I shouldn't have added the image gallery to the layer?

May 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I'm saying you don't need to use widgets if you want the gallery as the main content of a page.

Widgets are only for putting content into sidebar zones and so forth.

May 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Just to clarify, you use the "New" menu in Dashboard to create new content. There should be an Image Gallery option there.

May 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM

In the "New" menu I only have "List", "Page" and "Pretty Gallery" (but I haven't played with Pretty Gallery yet).

So far I tried using the Image Gallery Module (http://orchardimagegallery.codeplex.com/), but this I could only find when I go to Widgets, then click Add in one of the zones.

May 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM

It's been a while since I looked at the image gallery, there's definitely a way of doing it.

But anyway this is a third party module so the best place to look for documentation and ask questions would be on the Image Gallery project site.

May 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Indeed reading the documentation of the image gallery helped: I had to define a content type first, which contains the image gallery part.

Anyway, after some more experimenting, I found the image gallery module to be quite unstable. I get exceptions on all pages (see below), which can only be solved by deleting all contents containing an image gallery:

-------------------------------------

Ausnahmedetails: System.ArgumentException: Ungültiger Parameter. (would probably be "invalid parameter"? in english)

Quellfehler:

Zeile 17: <div class="image-gallery">
Zeile 18:     <ul>
Zeile 19:         @foreach (var image in Model.Images)
Zeile 20:         {
Zeile 21:         <li>

I'll have to see whether I can report the bug to the image gallery project, or whether the is a better alternative (pretty gallery or photo album). Otherwise I guess I'll check out some other CMSs.

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

May 8, 2011 at 9:00 PM

There's a project I'm working on that provides image galleries in a different way.

I haven't quite finished the full implementation of them but you could make a fairly simple gallery using Lists and customising the templates. Better/easier galleries will be enabled in the next few days once I've worked on it a bit more.

It's at http://orchardmediagarden.codeplex.com if you're interested.