Missing files in project

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
May 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM

When I add the Orchard.Web.csproj to a new solution it seems to be missing a lot of files. I'll give one example: ~/Modules/Lucene/Module.txt and ~/Modules/Lucene/web.config

Should the downloaded project not be used this way?

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I'm guessing you're using the default download here, the one with just the web site. It is a bug that the csproj file is there. It shouldn't be, and that's something we caught too late. If you are going to use Visual Studio, you should get the full source code package or even enlist with the source control on CodePlex.

May 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

But I don't understand "f you are going to use Visual Studio, you should get the full source code package..."

Should I get the full source only because I use Visual Studio? Even if I just want to create a theme or a simple module? 

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Yes.

It is possible to develop modules and themes using a simple text editor, or WebMatrix (see http://orchardproject.net/docs/Creating-a-module-with-a-simple-text-editor.ashx) and in this case the default package is fine but if you have Visual Studio there is no good reason why you should. In any case that csproj file is useless.

May 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Sorry, I don't understand the answer:

Is "Yes" the answer to my question "Should I get the full source only because I use Visual Studio? Even if I just want to create a theme or a simple module?"

And by "if you have Visual Studio there is no good reason why you should", do you mean there is no good reason to use Visual Studio for Orchard development?

I'm somewhat confused: I know about WebMatrix but I'm not aware that it would somehow preclude the use of Visual Studio in a project such as Orchard. Is there a documentation on how to set up different environments? Because after reading the documentation at the link you provided I'd still rather use Visual Studio than manually edit .csproj files.

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Yes, if you want to use Visual Studio, you should have the full source code.

No, I mean if you have Visual Studio there is no good reason why you should follow the development method shown in the tutorial I linked to. You should absolutely use Visual Studio over the full source code.

May 2, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Okay, thanks so far for answering my questions!

"It is a bug that the csproj file is there. It shouldn't be"

This contradicts the documentation on manually installing and running from VS

To run the site in Visual Studio, extract the .zip file to a local folder. Launch Visual Studio and select FileOpen > Project/Solution. Navigate to the folder where you extracted the .zip and open the folder named Orchard. Select the Orchard.Web project file.

I still can't understand why you need the full source for Visual Studio. What is so special about the way Orchard works? From the development method in the tutorial you linked to I don't see anything that you would need full source for if you did something similar in Visual Studio. Am I missing something obvious?

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 9:48 PM

There is nothing special about the way Orchard works. It's a multi-project solution, with individual projects for modules, framework, core and site. When you get the default download, you only get the web site project and are missing all the rest. So you *can* run just the web site in Visual Studio, but you won't be able to debug or compile from VS. With WebMatrix or a text editor you don't have these problems because they don't have debug or compilation capabilities in the first place...

I fixed the documentation.