Maintaining Code - best practices

Topics: General
May 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I have a question about maintaining code of website that is based on Orchard Project.

Let's say i have an Orchard.Web 1.1 code on my local computer and developer database. I want to deploy new features developed locally to production environment. From what I know, that can be acomplished in two ways:

1. Package module/widget locally and deploy it via Orchard admin panel to production. Then send only Theme\MyTemplate files.

The problem is that only part of code under version control is physically copied. The rest is deploy/generated by Orchard from package. Can we have absolute confidence that what i have locally under SVN is the same code that is deployed to production?

2. Publish all project again

That way I'm sure my production environment has exactly same code as my local copy. Unfortunately I need to send all of my code again, and sending so many files through FTP takes long time.

I'll be very glad to read your opinion on the topic.

May 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Not sure I understand the question in 1. The package will contain everything the csproj is pointing to, so that should be all source code necessary to compile the module.

I'd definitely favor method #1.