Modules on Azure

Topics: Installing Orchard, Writing modules
Apr 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Am I right in understanding that if you are running Orchard on Azure then the only way to use any modules that are not included in the base Orchard installation is to create your own custom Azure deployment that includes the modules?

Building an Azure deployment is tricky at best so having to do so each time I want to add a module seems unrealistic. Also I'm working on a custom module that I'll want to update frequently, am I going to have to redploy my entire Orchard installation every time I want to deploy a small change to my module? Surely I should be able to just package up my module and push it out to my existing Orchard installation?

Sean

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Everytime you need to make a change, Azure requires you to publish a new package. That's the nature of the cloud. Also it's pretty simple to deploy on Azure. You develop locally using the "already existing" azure solution, run inside Visual Studio, and when you are ready you just call the command line script to build the resulting package.

May 6, 2011 at 1:24 AM

Thanks Sébastien,

I got it all working :-)

In case any one else reads this and is feeling the same way I was - I just wanted to follow up and say that it takes some persistence to get things right the first time you deploy to Azure and the deployments themselves take a while (mine were about 20 min each time) but as I've come to understand and appreciate everything Azure is doing I am convinced that it's all worth it!

I am hopeful that the module deployment story will get easier (and may work on that myself at some point) but the command line script is very helpful, and I really like that it does tests of the storage as part of the build.

I've added some comments with specific tips on the Wiki page for deploying on Azure.

Sean

May 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I'm also starting with Orchard on Azure, the solution has the modules project references to src\Orchard.Web\Modules\ should we add our own custom modules to this folder or src\Orchard.Azure\Orchard.Azure.Web\Modules instead? Same question for themes.

Coordinator
May 9, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Did you follow ther instructions from this topic?

http://orchardproject.net/docs/Deploying-Orchard-to-Windows-Azure.ashx#Adding_a_Module_to_the_Distribution_0