Orchard is impressive

Topics: General
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I'm very impressed with Orchards design.  I've worked with a lot of different CMS's out there, and while Orchard still is relatively young and lacks a lot of features.. I'm highly impressed with the simplicity in which Orchard is architected, extended, and managed.  I think you guys are on the right track.

In contrast, when I first got involved with DNN (6 or 7 years ago), i found it arcane, cumbersome, and a pain to extend.  Getting a development environment setup, and writing modules was a big pain, and had a very large learning curve. 

I have a few questions regarding Orchard's performance and scalability.

1. Has anyone profiled, or measured Orchards performance compared to other .NET CMS's like Umbraco, DNN or Kentico?
  2. I have read that Orchard was designed for cloud scalability.  Can you briefly cover how Orchard's design was influenced by this?
  3. Is anyone working on a book? (if not, I might be interested in tackling that)
Jul 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

+1

I need to get some ammunition to take to my management, describing the scalability story, when I make the proposal to consider Orchard as a replacement for our current CMS platform.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to recycle my stock answer to that :) We have done some scalability testing under specific conditions, but that would only give you information that would be useful if you were running under those same conditions. Performance testing is best done in the environment where you intend to run your site, so nothing can replace doing your own testing.

Also, you might want to be more specific about the kind of scalability you are after. Lots of simultaneous users? Lots of hits? Lots of content items? What's "lots"?

The only thing I can really answer is the Azure design part. The specific challenges with Azure are that you can't write to the file system reliably as what you do on one instance won't get reflected on others. As a result, we had to make sure that media for example, could be stored in blob storage if the file system is not available. Other challenges (some of which remain) are cache invalidation and in general all resources that are not shared between instances.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM

That's a good answer...

I don't need proofs (or specific answers); what I'm looking for is lots of discussion about performance and scalability. If and when I can convince our team to use Orchard, we will do the specific work to calculate answers to our specific questions.

It's good news to hear that you have a "stock answer"! :) I will admit that I haven't spent a lot of time in the forums, yet, but if you have favorite threads about performance and scalability, any pointers would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to use Orchard for a public-facing website that will interact heavily with custom, internal applications (which we're simultaneously trying to move to SharePoint as much as possible).

Thanks for your speedy response!

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Well, pointing you to old threads would do a disservice to the platform: performance has consistently been improved with each release. 1.2 seems to satisfy most people in terms of performance as we've seen way more praise than criticism for its performance. But again that's just circumstantial.

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:22 PM

That's good to hear, and will be helpful.

Is there a list, anywhere, of sites that are using Orchard? (I promise, I'm going to go spend some time browsing the forums... I'm just fighting the urgency of all the problems we're facing with our current CMS platform, so I haven't had time to do the research yet!)

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:25 PM

We'll have such a list eventually but for the moment, no.