Orchard for back-office only

Topics: General
Apr 26, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Has anyone built a site usign Orchard for handling back-office data and using regular MVC 3 approach for composing user facing pages?

Is there any example? Is that easy to query Orchard content items?

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2011 at 3:54 PM

It's time to do an OData module. Or if you are using SQL Server you can do it as a specific piece of code for your application. Doing an Odata module is very easy on top of Orchard, search for the session given by Johnatan Carter at MIX this year.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Just to be sure. I just meant to build the internet facing site (using regular MVC 3) in the same orchard site. The point of not relying on the "theme architecture" is that, even though this is a nice piece of software that does a lot of things for free, it can also be very frustrating at times (on the route/slug, filtering and related content side of things) when you know exactly what you want, have simple needs and when mostly you will just update and add content items.

I red somewhere that is was possible to integrate an MVC3 apps. Now is there an easy way to query for content items of a certain type using Orchard API. Does it return some dynamic objects? Of course an OData module would certainly do the trick and much more....

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:08 PM

What exactly are you finding frustrating? There are simple solutions to most problems, without having to rewrite the entire front end UI yourself.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for getting in ... Basically the scenario I described in "General Guidelines" discussion... But it looks like you'll have a flexible solution soon.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Yes ... it works quite simply, but it enables a lot of different scenarios. I'm also thinking about ways to manage item routing using it, so you'd have highly customisable URLs and even content items on multiple URLs (displaying differently depending on their local parents). But that won't be in there quite yet.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Item routing (having relative or parameterized slugs) would be definitely great if this is what you are thinking of. Managing/entering a slug for each item associated with a list is a tedious task when in the end you just want to specify a URL/slug for the list.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM
sebastienros wrote:

It's time to do an OData module. Or if you are using SQL Server you can do it as a specific piece of code for your application. Doing an Odata module is very easy on top of Orchard, search for the session given by Johnatan Carter at MIX this year.

Thanks for the tip on Johnatan Carter's session. I just watched it and it was asume!

May 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM
sebastienros wrote:

Sebastian, just WCF lamer question but this easy way is to use WCF data services toolkit, and add a route to the service in module? Can OrchardServiceHostFactory be used with toolkit?