General Guidelines

Topics: General
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I'm trying to imagine how to build a very simple ISV web site with Orchard. It would have the following organization/hierarchy:

Home Page
-- Products
---- Product 01
------ Overview (should display a summary of features, latest releases, some testimonials)
------ Features
------ Releases
------ Testimonials
---- Product 02
------ Features
------ Releases
------ Testimonials
-- News
-- Company
-- etc...

I'm wondering how to have a generic approach for features, releases and so on?
One content type and multiple lists?
OR
A content type with a product field?

Is it possible that items get an URL (slug) relative to the list that contains those items?

-------

Alternatively, how difficult would it be to use Orchard for the back-office side of things and use a pure MVC3 approach for the user facing site?

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Why not a Product content type, containing multiple fields, and a Products List to list all products.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM
Edited Apr 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

But how do I relate one product with multiple features, multiple releases, multiple testimonials?

I have multiple 1-N relations... As far as I can see, I can have only one container part.

Could I get multiple 1-N relations easily if writing the content type in code?

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

You could write reusable parts for each of them, or if they are just text, then you can write only one part, which can display a set of text inputs. Another basic approach is to use the TineMce editor, and enter a bulleted list inside for each field, then on the output it will render ul/lis that you can easily customize on a specific template.

It also makes me think that having a "List Part" (not a List content type we already have) could take another content type in a setting, and enables to enter a list of content items.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I'm thinking out loud.

A feature, a release description, a testimonial are basically "content types". I need to associate a collection (list) of items based on those content types to a Product. Let's say I have 2 products (PA and PB) and let's focus on "release description" items.

I can have a content type for Release Description (version, release date, body, containable, etc...).

I could possibly create two lists:

I can then attach a release description to either product. I can extend this approach with features, testimonials and so on...

When I need to display a subset of the "release descriptions" for a particular product, I can possibly use a container widget. For instance, I would create an Orchard Page for each product (http://mysite/pa and http://mysite/pb). I would then need to have a specific layout for each page (not sure exactly how - not an orchard expert - but I imagine it's feasible) so that I can display a specific set of widgets (features summary, latest releases, some testimonials, ...) out of the lists.

The possible drawback of this approach is that it is impossible to associate one item to multiple lists. For some type of content (KB) it could be useful.

How does this approach sound?

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I'm working on a module that allows many-to-many content graphs with flexible connector types, i.e. associating items with multiple lists or networks. It'd be entirely able to do what you're asking. Should be releasable tomorrow.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Would be pleased to give it a try... even if it's not ready for prime time.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM

If you send me a PM I can mail you the module; there's just no documentation yet so I'll have to write some, it'd be a bit hard to figure out otherwise!