File archive with security

Topics: Administration, General
Apr 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I need a way to allow logged in users to upload files (Word documents etc) and other users should be able to list the uploaded files. One extra requirement is that I as an administraor shoud be able to control who has access to which folders/archives. Is there any built in functionality to support this type of file/document management scenario or is there any modules/widgets in that I could use to achive this? Any help would be really appreciated!

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:04 PM

There's a built-in media system that allows you to upload files. But having control over viewing permissions is a different matter, and if you wanted them to be browsable in the front end that's a whole extra UI to build.

But, I'm currently working on a module that makes handling different kinds of media a lot easier. You could upload word documents and get a "Binary Media" item that you could then just use with the built-in ContainerPart/ContainablePart to generate lists of download links. Something else I've got in the works will allow giving users rights to specific items; there's nothing otherwise at this time that I'm aware of.

The media garden project is at:

It's not quite production ready but it's not that far off, upload / import / display media works for a number of formats already. Give me a shout if you need any help :)

May 1, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Thank you for a quick reply! I will take a look at media garden. Is the intention with it to be used as a base component also for what I need, or is it really intended to support another need?

May 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Media Garden is designed around a base framework. So this framework has been built to support flexible ways of handling a variety of media types and all the different ways they might need to be viewed and processed.

However the core framework itself is essentially a system that handles binary files but exposes them as actual Content Items in Orchard. This is the core function and all the media playback bells and whistles are built up from that (in separate modules).

So yes it's kind of geared towards a much bigger need, but the core framework just does the bare integration of binary files with content and therefore rendering, permissions etc. - which is also what you need.