Deployment in a Staging -> Production Environment

Topics: General
Editor
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hey everyone,

I recently read the following deployment post and it left me with some thoughts:

http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/251070

I just completed my first Orchard site for a client and am looking at deployment options for a staging/production style environment. The reason I feel this is necessary is because when users modify the site, I do not want them to be able break production with their changes. I am thinking I will need two versions of the site setup in different environments(Staging/Production) so they can review changes before pushing them live. I am looking at building a custom module that allows the user to promote the changes to production when they feel confident in them. I also would want some sort of option to push blog posts out only as well. Has anyone looked into something like this yet? I think we would basically just be pushing App/Data and Media for the client because they wont be installing any modules on their own. Any suggestions on this? Any other deployment strategies others have tried? Is there anyway that pages in draft status can be viewed by a logged in user type only?

Thanks, Arra

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM

That would be an excellent module. Rather than copying the whole App_data, which may be destructive if you have some content like comments being added on the production server, you might want to build your approach on the new import/export module and transfer recipe files instead. Just an idea.

Editor
Apr 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

As far as deploying the source code do you recommend doing a Publish and then putting that code base in production? What have people been doing for deployments?

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM

For deploying code, you can use VS deployment, or you can deploy smaller chunks by packaging the modules and installing them on the target.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM
arock3 wrote:

I am looking at building a custom module that allows the user to promote the changes to production when they feel confident in them. 

arock3, did you ever end up building such a module?  This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM

@maguidhir

This should be part of next version of Orchard. It's not sure yet, should be discussed soon on the forums.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM

That's great news - thank you! I will watch for it on the forums.