Importing a blog

Topics: Administration, General
Apr 20, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I am trying to import my blog from Oxite. I noticed it does NOT support exporting to BlogML (at least the version I'm using). I am considering importing my old content directly into the database. What's the best approach to import my posts from the existing database into Orchard database? Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Extract into the new Orchard import/export format.

Developer
Apr 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Or........ For OxiteI found this on thier homepage http://oxite.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=gettingstarted&ProjectName=oxite

4C) Install BlogML 2.0

Oxite uses the BlogML library to provide a simple way for you to import your old blog entries into the system. Download the library from Codeplex at http://www.codeplex.com/BlogML/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=171 and unzip the \BlogML 2.0\DotNet API\binary\BlogML.dll file to your \Oxite\bin\ folder.

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM

We only had BlogML for import only. Why would anyone want to leave Oxite? It’s not like we would ever stop working on it...oh, wait.

There’s no complete tooling for clean transfer of data but you could export your data from Oxite into Orchard’s import format (as Bertrand mentioned) or try doing something with the RSS output of Oxite and the “blog import …” command in the blog module which has some basic RSS importing functionality (thank Sébastien for that one). The command could be built upon (i.e. copied into a new module and tweaked) to add support for importing more data, like comments, if that’s the way you (or anyone) want’s to go for importing data from some syndicated source.

HTH

-Nathan

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Thanks everyone for their answers. I actually took the time and wrote a command line tool that connected to Oxite database and exported the data in BlogML format. Think I'll release the source in GitHub for everyone that is stuck like me. I think this was the easiest path, as I already know BlogML format and had no idea on how Orchard's import/export works.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:29 AM

For those interested, here's the tool that I created to export the oxite database into blogml format. Hope this helps.