IE6 Themes?

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Troubleshooting, Writing themes
Apr 20, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I know no-one should be using IE6 now but the fact is there are many organisations that are still stuck with it and if you want your web site viewed by them, it will look pretty nasty with the themes I have tried so far.

Are there any themes that work well with IE6?

Cheers

Ian

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I know it's not an answer; but on IE6 the vast majority of the internet looks pretty bad these days.

Additionally, the kind of organisations that still run IE6 will probably also have super restrictive firewall policies that wouldn't let your site thru anyway.

Since high-profile sites like Youtube have officially discontinued support for IE6, I've been inclined to do the same; unless my client is will to pay a lot for that support!

On the other hand, I based my own site's theme entirely on the default TheThemeMachine and it looks almost identical in IE6 to other browsers.

Finally; Bertrand posted a theme switcher on his site that lets you change themes according to user agent string. So you could always build a really simple and plain theme to fall back to for IE6 users.

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Bertrand's theme switcher will probably be enough for us. 

Unfortunately a lot of the people looking at our site will be from local government in the UK, many of which are still on IE6 so there is definately still a requirement for it for us (though I really wish there wasn't - and many people in local government, including IT, think the same of course)

Still I at least have a workaround now.

Many thanks

Ian

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I've worked in a number of UK local government departments so I know where you're coming from. Isn't Citrix a lot of fun?

Hopefully one day it'll reach the point where the cost of supporting IE6 outweighs the cost of actually updating their systems and things will change.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Managed to hack that together by creating a copy of the theme and using tables instead of divs where needed, then used Bertrand's theme switcher.  Works fine.

Cheers

Ian

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Sounds great - the cool thing is that for search engines, screen readers, etc. you're still serving the version optimized for semantics and modern browsers.