Newsletter Module

Topics: Writing modules
Apr 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM

I've been searching around the CodePlex site and looking at the Orchard road map. I don't see anything regarding a Newsletter Module being developed. I think I'm still WAY off from being able to code a module for Orchard, but thought I would throw out the suggestion if anyone was interested in the idea. The Newsletter feature in MojoPortal is actually pretty great. It allows you to create multiple newsletters that then have editions for each one. So instead of overwriting your newsletter each time you want to send out an update, you just create a new edition. It would be great if it could hook into Orchard's content publishing scheduler so that you can schedule your newsletters to send on certain dates/times. The subscription portion would need to hook into the Users and Messaging modules as well I'm guessing.

Maybe as I get more familiar with Orchard I'll try to take on this task if no one else gets to it before then.

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM

You should vote this up: http://orchard.uservoice.com/forums/50435-general/suggestions/635701-newsletter?ref=title

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM

psenechal - a while ago I posted a discussion about templated emails: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/251189

I'm thinking that a newsletter module would ideally sit on top of an email templating system like that. Then a newsletter could basically be published as normal content, then those content items rendered into an email thru the templating system. You could even think about applying zones, layers and themes to add customisability using existing mechanisms.

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM

ahhh...I didn't know about the whole UserVoice thing. I voted up a few topics over there...thanks!

@randompete - on one hand, that sounds like a great idea...on the other hand, so much of that just went over my head. I'm only about a week or so into using Orchard and still trying to figure out how much of it works. I'm also a .NET forms programmer, so not only am I learning Orchard, I'm trying to wrap myself around MVC as well. I'll get there eventually though and I'm really seeing a lot of potential with this product. I'm hoping the module I'm creating for my application will help me learn more.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM

+1 on the newsletter module.  I'd like to have something that would "look at" a blog and auto send to a list of subscribers a link to the new post.