d:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default error messages

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM

So, after seeing MIX I started off all excited to explore Orchard.  FYI: My Orchard 1.1.30 instance is a regular install.  Here is what I ran into very quickly.

First, under Users I added: "Users must verify their email address."  I get the following message on top of the page: "Some Orchard.User settings require an Email channel to be enabled.".  So, I am stuck because I don't know what an email channel is.  I searched everywhere in the app, but nothing tells me what this channel is.

Following several Google searches, I found that a Message Module or Email Message Module needs to be installed. Okay, I install Messaging but get stuck with errors like: d:\TeamCity\ path not found stuff.  After a while I discover that first Email Message and then next Messaging needs to be installed.  But in the meantime I get these d:\TeamCity errors that begin to drive me crazy. How can it be that these paths are in the final release?  BTW: I searched the entire Orchard folder for this path, but it seems not to be stored anywhere. I wonder where they come from...

Next: I install and change a Theme. Immediately I get the following error: The IControllerFactory 'Orchard.Mvc.OrchardControllerFactory' did not return a controller for the name 'Styles'.  Also included in the error are the same old d:\TeamCity errors: See below for a complete error set:

Locating source for 'd:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs'. Checksum: MD5 {89 7a 37 74 2a 2f 29 3a db 62 34 e9 bc 2b e ef}
The file 'd:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs' does not exist.
Looking in script documents for 'd:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs'...
Looking in the projects for 'd:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs'.
The file was not found in a project.
Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\crt\src\'...
Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc\'...
Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl\'...
Looking in directory 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\atlmfc\include\'...
The debug source files settings for the active solution indicate that the debugger will not ask the user to find the file: d:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs.
The debugger could not locate the source file 'd:\TeamCity\Projects\Orchard-Default\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs'.

So my first impressions are, shall I say, a little iffy -- specifically Orchard seems slow, non-intuitive and buggy.   I am an experienced developer and at the end I will be able to resolve most issues, but end-users are going to give up very quickly I am afraid.  Anyhow, my 2 cents.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I'll try to answer.

We could certainly improve the documentation. The good news is that like the rest of the project it's open to contributions.

The path "d\TeamCity" should not surprise you: when an exception occurs in a .NET assembly that has debugging information (pdb files), the paths in that debugging information will always be the paths of the source file where the assembly was compiled. In this case, that is our continuous integration server.

You do not just need to install Messaging, you also need a specific channel, e-mail. So you need to install both Messaging and Email Messaging and enable the features. Then you'll be able to set-up your SMTP parameters.

What theme did you install? I cannot reproduce that problem you describe with the theme I tried, Contoso.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Thanks Bertrand for getting back so quickly.  I am really keen on Orchard becoming a success!

At the end I was able to setup email including SMTP parameters. 

The theme errors I got were with both Contoso and Dark (I believe was the name). 

The default theme seems fine.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Glad you could make SMTP work. That's one doc topic that we need to write though...

I'd like to get to the bottom of that theme problem because we've had several similar reports but were unable to reproduce so far. Would you mind recapitulating exact repro steps from install to getting the error?

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Edited Apr 20, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I did nothing special really. In fact, changing the Theme was one of the first things I did with my new installation.

In my first post (above) I included the complete error stack.

I would think that:  The IControllerFactory 'Orchard.Mvc.OrchardControllerFactory' did not return a controller for the name 'Styles'.  should help pinpoint the problem. There is no controller for the name 'Styles'? 

Thanks for looking into the problem.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Actually I remember starting the application and not seeing a .sln file, but opening a .proj file instead.  I used Visual Studio and perhaps I was not supposed to?  I installed Orchard with the Web Platform Installer.

In your prior message you mentioned that I should not be surprised to see these d:\Teamcity\.. error messages, but the more I think about the more I respectfully disagree.  How can we know about Orchard's continuous integration setup?   In fact, I am wondering why Orchard ships with files that have debug paths that you know are incorrect on end-user's machines? 

Again, I appreciate all the work you guys do!

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I just re-downloaded the full source code. Opened in VS using the 'sln file. And again immediately the Contoso theme causes the same error.  So it has nothing to do with my prior install.

The IControllerFactory 'Orchard.Mvc.OrchardControllerFactory' did not return a controller for the name 'Styles'. Line 141 in ShellRoute.cs.  No additional stack info (due to Async nature).

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Just to close on that TeamCity thing: no, users are not supposed to know about our CI server, but this is just the way PDB files work, and it has nothing to do with Orchard. As far as I know, the alternatives are to have a source server (but the user would then have to know about it, even less trivial) or not to ship PDBs at all. Now we don't want to do that do we?

If you know a solution to this I'd really love to hear it and implement it, because we keep getting that sort of complaint.

As a side note, I still fail to understand how those paths have any impact on anything. Oh, and if you compile from source, the paths will be the ones from your enlistment, not TeamCity.

I just created, in a completely new directory, a new clone of the default branch, launched src\orchard.sln, built and ran (CTRL+F5), setup using Orchard as the site name, admin, 1234567, default recipe and SQL CE, installed Contoso from the gallery, set it as the current theme. Not a single hiccup. Theme works perfectly.

We need to determine what is different about your setup. We can do two things. First you can zip up your Orchard.Web folder and make it available to me on DropBox or somewhere. Second, I can do the same and share with you the result of that test I just did and see if it runs on your machine.