Solution Folders: A Nice Feature, But Not Supported in Express

Topics: Installing Orchard
Apr 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM

I would suggest discontinuing the use of solution folders in the Orchard source code distribution.  They are certainly a handy feature in VS, but unfortunately are not supported in the Express editions of Visual Studio.  You can still open the Orchard solutions and build successfully, but only after dismissing a warning dialog after each instance of their usage (e.g. "Modules", "Tools", and "Themes"). 

As an open-source project, it seems to me that Orchard would be better served by having a source-code base that was completely friendly to the Express editions of Visual Studio, even if that means sacrificing a few niceties of the for-pay editions.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:32 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2011 at 5:33 AM

I use VWD as well, and yeah it gets pretty boring having to click 'Ok' to several fairly slow prompts every time I open the solution.

What I'm doing now is keeping my own VWD copy of the solution file separate.

There are additional problems with the VS solution; VWD rewrites certain bits of it when you save, and that breaks ClickToBuild.cmd.

The disadvantage of using my own copy is that none of the codegen IncludeInSolution switches help me.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to maintain two versions of the solution file in the core project; one for VS, one for VWD. The number of projects is really quite large and the list is pretty overwhelming, I can certainly see the advantage of having the folders for VS users.

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Please file a bug.