Plans to add editing capabilities to designer tools?

Topics: General
Apr 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Hi

I've been following Orchard for a while now, trying out different versions etc - In my opinion, the Designer Tools module is definitely one of the best features of 1.1
I've started working on a personal project based on Orchard and there's no way I could have completed as much as I have so far without these tools.

I can think of a few things that would make these tools even more useful.

Example:

1 - Admin is viewing a specific page on the website and notices a form inserted by a newly installed module is styled incorrectly
2 - Admin opens designer tools and clicks the Edit button
3 - The page reloads in "edit mode" - Everything is rendered correctly, but the Javascript is put on hold (This will allow the user to view the html of the page before it is modified by JS)
4 - The admin selects the form on the page and it is selected in the designer tools
5 - The admin opens the Template tab, which shows the current template and adds the required "class" to the html.
6 - Admin clicks the save button and the designer tools posts the changes back to the server.

I'm not sure if Step 3 is necessary, but it would be useful to be able to pause the JS so it doesn't fire on page load.
There could also be a "Save As" button which would allow the user to select an alternative template name. In the case that the current template is the one supplied by the module, the save button could be disabled, forcing the admin to select Save As.

My question is: Are there any plans to add editing capabilities to the designer tools? If not, would other people be interested if I were to code it myself?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:21 AM

No plans for that, no.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM

@mzalewski - I was thinking about this, as CodeMirror is used for the syntax highlighting and it already supports editing and even autocompletion. You could look at how the Create button currently works and use a similar system to post file changes back to the server. It'd be very handy for minor edits - but also  quite dangerous with the possibility of making mistakes and really screwing the site up :)