This project is read-only.

Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\orchard 1.1\src\Orchard.Web\App_Data\Dependencies\ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll' is denied.

Topics: Troubleshooting
Apr 16, 2011 at 5:09 AM

After upgrading to Orchard 1.1 I began receiving the runtime error: 

Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\orchard 1.1\src\Orchard.Web\App_Data\Dependencies\ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll' is denied.

To fix it I granted Full Control to the IIS_IUSRS Group at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\orchard 1.1\src\Orchard.Web\

Does anyone know of a better way of doing this?  I'm concerned these are not the appropriate permissions to apply.  


Apr 16, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I also am having this issue after upgrading from 1.0.3 to 1.1.30  Getting:

Access to the path '--\App_Data\Dependencies\dependencies.xml' is denied.

From another installation, I can see that this particular file (and others in the dependencies directory) have the AppPool Process ID associated with it but the permissions are marked as "special permissions".

I also seem to remember having to give special permissions during the install process using the wizard on my initial setup (not during the upgrade).

I am using this link for instructions to upgrade:



Apr 17, 2011 at 6:31 AM

Try to delete that whole dependencies directory.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:16 AM

While deleting the dependencies directory seemed to work for that particular problem, I was faced with the same issue for the "Sites" directory.  Deleting the Sites directory (--App_Data\Sites) gave me this new error:

Method 'get_BaseUrl' in type 'SafeModeSite' from assembly 'Orchard.Setup, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' does not have an implementation.

Any Ideas?


Apr 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Ah, but you don't want to delete that one. Why did you? Granting permissions to App_data is fine by the way.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:29 AM

Just tried deleting it to see what happened...

Anyways, I gave my appPool full control access to the app_data folder and site is loading.  However, now there are no menus and the pages or sites (I am running multi tenant) have no themes tied to them.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM

And yes, I did update all the modules needing updated once i logged into the dashboard.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

OK, Looks like I was able to sort this simply by giving the AppPool process full control over the app_data directory.  all the other problems (no menu and no themes) were simply because I forgot to add the themes and modules over the second time (i had copied them over the first time).  Thanks for all the help.

I guess the last question I have about this would be the correctness or safety of allowing the app pool process full control over this directory.

Thanks again.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:44 AM

It's needed as far as I know.