Using Entity Framework 4.1 in custom applications/modules

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Apr 15, 2011 at 6:31 AM

Hi Bert or other master Orchard-ors,

I want to use Entity Framework 4.1 and Nlayer DDD architecture <cite>microsoftnlayerapp.codeplex.com (a very advanced NLayer application)
</cite>

I don't like the idea of locking in developers to use ORM features transparently like it is used here.
I understand that is done to help a general public. However to support other serious players in
SaaS arena some alternative ORMs should be introduced with total control of persistence.
I am currently exploring Orchard for a CMS platfrom to build an SaaS ecommerce application
that will be first built for on-premise delivery and later ported to Azure environment.

I would like to see some higher level prototypes and very simple examples of introducing EF 4.1 code first
approach from the main developers that know inside out of the Orchard framework.
If we have some introductory blog post, sample, idea that would help. Discouraging other ORMs is not productive,
because more serious developers will turn away and chose CMS that can support it or help developers get there.

So Bert and others I appreciate your effort in developing this great framework, but please, please provide us some insides in
incorporating EF4.1 which I believe will gain popularity in years to come and come very close to NHibernate.

Thanks,

Rad

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2011 at 6:48 AM

You already asked that question here: http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/251899