Orchard 1.1 Very Slow Running From Source

Topics: General, Troubleshooting, Writing modules
Apr 14, 2011 at 5:00 AM

I'm running 1.1 from source enlistement for the purpose of module and theme development. When I was working in 1.0, it was slow any time I made a code change that required a recompile, but bearable. Now with 1.1 it seems like it takes 5 minutes to get a response even just from changing a .cshtml file.

Any ideas?

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2011 at 5:44 AM

5 minutes? Wow, your machine has something really really wrong. Any way you could try on another machine? Try switching trust level to see if it makes a difference, and also switch back and forth between debug and release.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I do have the same problem, Orchard is VERY slow when accessing a page (I didn't change anything). It's on my own PC other web apps work ok in debug mode. VS 2010 (SP1) with Asp.Net MVc 3 Tools Update.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Same here.

WebMatrix will run the site lighting fast, VS2010 compiled, runs a little slower than WebMatrix and VS2010 from source is extremely slow (20-40 sec to load a page) in release. Source published to local IIS runs fast - I still think webmatrix is quicker.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Is Shape Tracing on? I'm noticing a lot of slowdown with shape tracing in both VS and WebMatrix. On the other hand I'm generating some pretty complex nested shapes so it could easily be my fault :)

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Can you answer the questions I asked above please?

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM
bertrandleroy wrote:

5 minutes? Wow, your machine has something really really wrong. Any way you could try on another machine? Try switching trust level to see if it makes a difference, and also switch back and forth between debug and release.

No other machine to try on. This is a VM running on my Mac. After a reboot it sped up quite a bit, and I disabled shape tracing and got a bit more speed. Now its back down to levels comparable to 1.0. There may have been something going on in my worker process.

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Debug mode? Trust level?

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Changed from medium trust to full trust without much affect. Same with debug off. Recompilation of a cshtml file now appears to be about 20-25 seconds when doing it dynamically. Had to have been something in my worker process. Before I killed it, I noticed it was up to 630MB of ram, and then dropped down to 237MB instantly. Not sure what it would have been doing with that much memory since I had only been on one or two pages.