Web Farm Implemetation?

Topics: Administration, Installing Orchard
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to try this out on our 2-server web farm (we're also using the IIS Web Farm Framework).  Is there a document that discusses best practices for web farm implementation?  I'm having difficulty finding pertinent information.

Thank ya!

E

Coordinator
Apr 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

We have developped every module with farms in mind, that's why it's also working on Azure.
What is the information you would like to see on this purpose ? I may elp you during the process and generate some documentation based on your feedback.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Thanks for the response.

I'm just relating to the nightmare involved with installing DNN on more than one server.  Of course, I realize that this is MVC3 as opposed to DNN on webforms.

1. Can I put the app files on both servers?
  2. Do I need to put them on a Share?
  3. Do I need to set authentication keys anywhere in case a session jumps servers?
  4. If a user uploads a file to the site, does it have to be replicated across servers so it's immediately available to other users?

Just wondering things like that...

Thanks!

Eric

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

any response on this?  i am curious as well.

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM

You can duplicate the files, or use a share. If you duplicate, you'll want to have some synchronization mechanism for the media folder and any folder where users can upload. You'll also want to use a real SQL Server rather than CE. You should have the same machine keys set-up on all servers (but that's standard ASP.NET practice in a farm).

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that the media module can use Azure blob storage, but I maybe just assumed that, or perhaps I'm thinking of a different module. Any idea? 

I haven't gotten to the media upload part of my app yet, but I put it as low priority because I thought there was already some support for blob storage. If it's not already there what are the general steps needed to write one myself? 

Also, is there already a generic file storage interface in Orchard such that if you replace that with one that writes to blob storage, all modules that write to the file system (e.g., media upload, other upload features) would automatically store to blob? 

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You can use blog storage using Azure, there is also a module for S3 storage on the gallery, and a Media Folder module (shared folder) also on the gallery.