avoid login on startup

Topics: General
Apr 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I'm running Orchard in my Vs2k10sp1. On startup, I want to avoid login and other nonsense. What should I modify in the source to disable these things?

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM

What do you mean "avoid login"? Security isn't usually classed as "nonsense"... :) Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do?

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM

@randompete
~~ What do you mean "avoid login"?

If you look at this picture http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/GetFile.aspx?File=/screenshots/get_started_dialog_1.png you'll see that a developer running code in his/her Vs2k10 is required to fill in all sorts of "unnecessary" information.

Furthermore, I assume if/when the application is run in Vs2k10 subsequently, the developer will be required to fill in his/her password. This is what I call "nonsense" that I'd like to "strike out" in the source files. I don't want to be bothered with user names and passwords when I run the application in my Vs2k10.

Can this be accomplished? What file(s) should be edited?

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Ok ... you are saying that configuring an admin username and password is "unnecessary"? Is there anything else you are referring to on that screen?

Yes, when you run the application, you need to log in to access the Dashboard. This is how you would want it when your site is live; I hope. The purpose of a development environment is to simulate a live environment as realistically as possible. The thing is if you build and test your website only ever in superuser mode, you'll have no idea how it will look or behave for an Anonymous user. If you are automatically logged in then you have no way of logging out. It's impossible to test the security of your application.

What I'd strongly suggest is for your local installations just use admin/password. It's very easy to remember and quick to type. Just remember to use something a bit stronger on your live sites :)

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

@randompete
~~ configuring an admin username and password is "unnecessary"?

Yes, in the context of my usage of Orchard, user name and password are a nuisance. I want to run Orchard solely in my Vs2k10.

~~ anything else you are referring to on that screen?

I presume a database will be created if/when a user clicks the "Finish Setup" button.

Hence, can you reveal

1. what file(s) should be edited in order to avoid login?
  2. can a database be generated in a different fashion? Is there a .sql script?
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM

This is not going to happen, sorry.